10lb 6 month old..

Do any of you know of any reasons why a 6 month old would be losing weight? Eats good, does not spit up bad but still tends to lose weight. My daughter is in the hospital for the second time and no one has any idea on why she is not gaining weight and why she keeps losing weight but she eats great. Anyone have any ideas so i can suggest it to the doctors??

Angel.Johnson87

Asked by Angel.Johnson87 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you breastfeeding? My friends son wasnt gaining proper weight so doc told her to suplment w/ formula
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Have they checked thyroid problems? probably since that's the most common reason, I've heard of tumors causing weight issues as well. Obviously I hope that's not the case, but I wish you and your daughter the best. I hope they find the problem and solution soon! My prayers are with you
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• have they tried a tape worm? Tape worms live in the intestines and actually can make a person really hungry but never gain any weight. What about hyperthyroidism..where the metabliosm is so high that weight gain can be hard. Or even something with the thyroid? They probably have, but just some ideas
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 10:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• They have ran numerous tests at another hospital the first time she was admitted along with a catscan, so tumor is out of the box. They have and are running numerous blood tests but everything they have done so far seems to be a dead end. And No, I do not breastfeed. I give her formula. Did the same thing with my son. Its just she is being different and losing weight. She is about to be 6 months old on the 27th and she only weighs 10lbs 1oz. She had a doctors visit the 27th of last month and she weight 10lbs 11oz.
    Angel.Johnson87

Comment by Angel.Johnson87 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• how much are you feeding her? My son started losing weight and we had to up his intake of food. He went from 32oz with 1 meal of homemade baby food to 40oz and 3 meaks of homemade baby food. All in 2 weeks he started gaining weight. I doubt your prob is this simple b/c they are running so many test but I can hope it could be something simple. Good luck mama. I'll give ya a bump so maybe you can get some more help.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i def think theres something medical going on, my first thought was failure to thrive, i was 13lbs at 12months, and on high calorie formula and all, and even to this day i HAVE to eat about double the normal calorie intake or i lose weight very quickly. i have no clue, but hang in there!! and ask about thick it for the formula it helps it stick to the tummy more so they absorb more calories
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 10:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It sounds like an absorption problem. Do you have access to donor breast milk? Have you been to see a GI specialist? Chron's disease causes malabsoprtion. There are other GI conditions that cause similar issues. Breast milk is much easier to absorb than formula. If you are able to relactate or get donor milk, it might counter an absorption problem.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• After she got admitted into the hospital the first time when she a month old they assigned her a G.I. Specialist to which she has regular visits with. She had an appointment with him again today and they seen how she dropped more weight yet again so they admitted her once again on his request.n The formula is not the issue, she is eating great, spitting up less, but just not keeping the weight. And now is losing it even more. They have ran tests on her g.i. tract and stomach but all tests they have done so far have come back normal. They are stillr unning more tests but have no leads as to what her problem might be.
    Angel.Johnson87

Comment by Angel.Johnson87 (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011