Whats the earliest my grand daughter can have diluted juice

gramaneedshelp

Asked by gramaneedshelp at 10:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I gave my son little sips of diluted juice around 8 months old or so, but i had waited so long and he ended up not caring for juice, even now at almost 2 he refuses juice, he loves water and milk and thats it..
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 10:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• When she's finished growing?

Juice is the least-healthy way to deliver fruit to a baby. When she is mature enough to digest fruit (raw or cooked), it should not be juice, which is, nutritionally, fiber-free sugar and water.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• 6 months would be pushing it - that's when WIC starts giving it, but it's better to wait as long as possible. One of mine didn't even like it til they were about a year old.
    Anonymous

• they say around 5 or 6 months but I just dont see the point. I give my son real fruit why would I want to give him the fake stuff with sugar in it. He also loves water. Drinks it from my cup. I was told I could if he was constipated but it was a last resort and we didnt have to. I plan on just milk and water. maybe down the road some juice but hoping he wont like it.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Not before 12 months, if ever. Baby needs whole fruit, not juice which is mostly just sugar water.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i started at 7 months since my hubby wanted to do it! i wanted to wait to after a year! i only do 1oz juice and then fill the rest with water!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Three, and then, only as an occasional treat.
    From a nutritional standpoint, juice is pretty worthless.
    Introduce a sippy cup with water, so when she weans, she has established the healthy habit of drinking plenty of water every day

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I waited till my daughter was 1 year old, but please ask her mother first. My daughter's grandmother (my MIL) would always give her things without asking me if it was okay first. It is very frustrating as a mother.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't give juice at all, as PPs have said, it's empty calories. Little ones need breastmilk or formula, and when you wean to a cup I do it with water. My DD (almost 3) only has diluted OJ rarely. She mostly drinks water and asks for milk occasionally. Both of my kids drink water like champs, and if you ask me, that's the best thing you can do is get them in the habit of drinking water!
    ZoeyBethsMomma

Answer by ZoeyBethsMomma at 9:40 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Juice is pointless, grandma. Don't bother. Baby ONLY needs breastmilk or formula till the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011