Does a first haircut help the hair grow in faster?

This may sound stupid, but my MIL and several other people I know have told me I should cut my 21mo olds hair to make it fill in/grow in fuller. He has a lot of hair, its just that it is very blonde and curly. The back is way longer then the front, and it has been suggested that if I cut it, it will 'fill in'. I don't get how this works, I just can't wrap my mind around it. Has anyone noticed this with their own kids? Thank You!

stephgood1

Asked by stephgood1 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think its a inaccurate statement. My husband gave DD bangs......thinking it would help the front grow out faster and thicker....no dead wrong.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I don't know if it will fill in better but cutting hair makes it grow faster.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 10:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It's an old wives tale. Cutting has nothing to do with growing, period.
    Anonymous

• cutting hair does make it grow faster. but the scissors also give split ends. odd huh? you cut your hair to get rid of split ends, but in reality, scissors give split ends.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I was told hair grows faster when it's stimulated-this is why some feel that their hair grows faster in the summer because people tend to be more active during these months, hence stimulating their hair follicles. Maybe a haircut is stimulating to some?? I've never heard that it will fill in. I thought that had to do with genes. I have thick hair and my daughter doesn't but my SIL's are practically bald so I chalk it up to genetics.

Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Hair texture & growth I think depends on genes.My sil shaved the head of her 3 years daughter several times with not much difference in the growth pattern
    A11

Answer by A11 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i dont think it does but cutting the hair will make it gro longer
    tammy372011

Answer by tammy372011 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011