Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 3rd grader needs to be tested... but Im at a loss as to where to go.

My 3rd grader has a disconnect between the basic skills of reading and what she 'gets'. Her understanding is WAY above grade level but the mechanics of reading do not come easy.

I have dealt with the school district (speech with my older child) and refuse 100% to do ANYthing with them. There is TOO much red tape to get anywhere and then there are labels that the child must deal with for the rest of their academic life.

We make enough to hire someone privately to test her but Im not sure where to start.  Her teacher couldnt help.  Im going to call the ped. tomorrow morning and have emails out to my friends who are teachers in the area.  But if anyone has the title of a type of therapist to contact.. that would be helpful.


Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • My son has seen numerous specialists over the years to try to get to the root of his issues.

    I would personally suggest an evaluation by a neuro-psychologist. I would also have your DD evaluated by a developmental optometrist; there is a huge connection between the visual system and learning that is very often overlooked (not understood, really). Do you suspect dyslexia? Have you had her tested for any LDs?

    Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Clearly your dealings with the school haven't gone well, but have you asked the school social worker or psychologist for a recommendation?

    I would call your nearest pediatric psychiatrist or psychologist to get a referral. Or, if there is a university in your area, contact their School of Education and see if they can help you. If you look for a psych professional, Psychology Today has a referral site on their web site that might be helpful.

    Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • My dd had a hard time getting anyone to step up and test her son. She decided to pressure the doctor then take it from there. Then the school had to test him. It took some time but keep at it

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • I would ask for a referral from the pediatrician. Maybe contact ECI and see if they can refer you to the right person for her age group.

    Then go from there. I'm sure there are sites out there for learning disabilities you could also refer to for more info on how to go about this.

    Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • she has a processing issue... i dont think she needs a social worker or psychologist.

    What does ECI stand for?


    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • ECI, Early childhood Intervention will not help you, they only work with children under age 3. What about a place like Sylvan maybe they can set you on the right track for her learning style.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • Did you make a formalized request to the school district? Written documentation outlining your child's issues and requesting an evaluation for special services? The school is legally obligated to comply with that request and conduct the testing within 60 (school) days of your request and report back to you whether or not your child would qualify for an IEP.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Anon... I refuse to do it through the district... they have too much red tape and I dont fully trust them to evaluate and solve in a timely mannor.

    footballmom... I signed her up for an eval at lindamood bell... they do some visual -> processing evals. I hope this gets me somehwere.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011