If you believe there is an afterlife, why?

I'm just curious about what makes you think there is an afterlife. For example, my 63-year-old aunt has been diagnosed with stage-4 pancreatic cancer, and at this point, she has literally been given a choice: dialysis (because her kidneys are now failing) or chemo (for the pancreatic cancer). So she "gets to choose" her way to go. Some days she is with it. Some days she is not. All this being said, why do you still think there is an afterlife? What makes you think there is a "ghost in the machine" and that we really do have an eternity related to this consciousness?

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 10:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because I couldn't simply survive on earth knowing that once a loved one is gone, that is it. It is more of a "coping" strategy for me than anything else.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• But they are, Shanlaree. They are really gone. Just like we'll be. That's reality. And I've come to accept this... but family members haven't, so I really do need to know why. I mean, even if you KNOW your loved one is gone, why do you choose to believe otherwise? Survival?
    SlightlyPerfect

Comment by SlightlyPerfect (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I choose to believe in life after death because I believe that I've seen it. Because I remember lives that I have had in the past. Because I have seen and heard visitors from the other side most of my life. I may not have ever seen or heard a god, but that doesn't mean that I limit or question my experiences.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Because I've seen too many things happen and had too many experiences that tell me there IS an afterlife. But I have been "open" to spirituality and studied it, find it fascinating, etc. So I believe the more open you are, the better your eyes are likely to "see" the NON-Coincidences. Things happen every day if you look. Your aunt is going to go back to what is the true reality, this is the non-reality. JMO.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My husband is battling stage 4 lung/liver cancer right now...he chose chemo because he wanted to live and watch our 3 boys grow up. He is not ready to give up the fight yet. Your aunt has been given the same choices. I wish her well on her journey against this awful disease.

You cant make anyone believe or not believe in an afterlife. Its something you either feel in your heart and soul or you dont.

I believe in one(and in rebirth)because there isnt one itty bitty bit of me that buys that once our bodies are gone our energy/soul is too. We go on to something more.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I believe in a form of reincarnation. I have this belief because I know of past lives. I can't imagine one could have a cycle of life, death & rebirth and then it just ends... In addition I have experience with the "spirit world." I've seen & communicated with those who have passed and again, have found proof to support my beliefs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011