would you ever promote teen pregnancy?

SimplyErathy

Asked by SimplyErathy at 10:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, that's why I think kids should be taught sexual education much earlier and taught more about contraceptives rather than abstinence. Though if I knew a pregnant teen I would be extremely supportive because it's a hard way to start your life and you would need a support system.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 10:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• As in walking right up to teens and telling them go for it or as in forcing adoption down someone's throat just because they're a teen mom? No I would never walk into a high school and say go for it, but I don't believe every teen mom is horrible. I hold the same beliefs for older women as well. I think some 17 year old parents make much better mothers then women who have a child at 45, and I think some teenagers should definitely not have children. I believe looking more at maturity, financial stability and one's life goals then just age.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think our culture needs to stop treating teen moms like they are the bottom of the barrel. I think we need to stop seeing teen pregnancy as a tragedy. As long as it is shameful and awful and dramatic, those families will struggle.

I don't promote pregnancy to anyone of any age. People shouldn't be "talked into" having kids. People should only have children if they really really want them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Being a teen mom isn't horrible. I was a teen mom at age 18, and i'm now 21 w/ 2 beautiful children. I'm a GREAT, single i must add, mother and I wouldn't change it for the world. NOW...as my girls grow up, and they're old enough to know what i'm talking about, i WILL teach them abstinence!!!!!! As I don't think teens should certainly go out there and try to have a baby, sometimes the unexpected happens.....
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• No, never it will lead to frustration in life of teen mothers
    A11

Answer by A11 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i agree it isent horribly, i had my dd at 18 and my ds at 19, we are pretty well off as teen parents BUT its hard doing things backward, i dont have my drivers lisence or even ged. i think in general as long as you have things like education and houseing ect figured out first its a lot easier
    SimplyErathy

Comment by SimplyErathy (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

This isn't true for everyone, I had my son at 18 and never took time off from college, got my bachelors, have traveled all over the country, and now have an amazing s/o and am expecting my second child. I'm not frustrated with my life in any way and never have been, I wouldn't change anything in my past. I agree this view that teen mom's are the bottom of the barrel or need pity because "life's so hard" is crap, some teenagers SHOULD NOT be parents, others handle it with grace and dignity. We need to stop judging people on age.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• No but I wouldnt look down on them. It hard enough being a teen.
    ArmywifeNatasha

Answer by ArmywifeNatasha at 12:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• are you kidding.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 1:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I had my son at 17. I wasn't as ready as I thought I was, and I wouldn't reccomend it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2011