Worried sick!

Okay my daughter has had this cough since October and no one can figure out why! We've been to several different doctors and tried several different meds and humidifiers etc. It seems to get worse though. We have a inhaler thing for her (she's only 2) and have tried allergy meds antibiotics etc. It sounds barky but no doctor has called it whooping or croup. No doctor knows what to do! We're ready to take extreme measures and get rid of our dogs in case that's it. Has any one else experienced this? She breaks my heart. She cries after every time she coughs. But no one else in the house has caught it so it's nothing contagious! Please anyone have ANY information that I can bring up with the doctors on what it could be?

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 11:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had that cough when I was little and it was associated with asthma, I had a breathing machine and an inhaler. Idk if they have tried that yet but just thought I would let u know. I also got that kind of cough from bronchitis associated with asthma and had to have one kid of cough syrup it was the only one that helped, but I cant remember the name of it but it was orange flavored and the color was orange. Hope you find out something soon.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You might be right about the dogs, she may be allergic to their dander which is causing them to cough, but before you get rid of them id see if you could either go on a small weekend getaway from them or them from you and see if she coughs as much. Have they taken xrays of her lungs? it might be walking pnemonia (this is not a dignosis only a suggestion, trying to help). If they havent i would demand it because it would be rediculous to let a child especially that young walk around with that. As she been around any second hand smoke from friends or family members? Are you using anything like febreeze or air spray? Does she cough the most at any time of day/ Those are all key factors of what may be causing your child to cough like that. Does she seem to have a runny nose? It may be mucus draining in her lungs and her coughing is her lungs try to force out the mucus
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 11:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• as mama said...asthma might be the problem too, also are your ventilation systems cleared out?
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 11:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i went thru the same thing and my son had asthma. i went to several diff drs and they would tell me he had child bronchitis...or a cold or allergies. finally i told his dr he needs to be checked for asthma. and i took him in during an asthma attack and they immediately hooked him up to oxygen and told ME to not let him get that bad again. ummmmm EXCUSE ME...i had been to several diff drs including the dr that told me that and said it was just a cough. i would suggest recording your little one during a coughing fit. and play the recording back to the dr. it took my months literally to get him diagnosed. it doesnt sound like ur little one has asthma but i would keep pushing the drs until the find an answer.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 11:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• When I was younger I had Chronic Sinusitus maybe it was genetic but her doctors all said no because her snot was clear not green. I just looked it up online and it said that if a child has had symptoms more than 10-14 days they should be treated for it. It even mentioned that the color of the snot doesn't matter. The Amoxocilin didn't work and the website said it wouldn't. and we've tried all the ventelations and breathing machienes. We haven't recorded her during a coughing fit but that's a great idea I might just do that! I will have to demand an xray of her lungs, And she stayed a week at my parents to see if it would clear up by not being around the dogs and it didn't. My poor mom only got 2 hours of sleep a night due to her cough. I'm sick of doctors telling me no no no when why would it hurt to try! My mothers instinct is saying yes yes yes! Just because I don't have my doctorates doesn't mean cntd
    Heidikans

Comment by Heidikans (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't have mothers intuition!
    Heidikans

• I agree, I would have her tested for asthma. I had a chronic cough throughout my life and was finally diagnosed at 35 with asthma.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• All u can do sweetie is to NOT give up!! There is a doc out there somewhere that knows what your little girl has.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• DO NOT give up! Best of luck hun!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 5:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• try putting the dog in a doggie hotel/sitters clean up all the dog hair and stuff and see if it helps before you just give him away, if thats it then you know what needs to be done, otherwise keep asking. but my dd pretty much always has a cough but most of the time its a dry cough, we have cool mist humidifiers in every room, shes also on singular and it helps a bunch :)
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 8:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2011