what do you think about nosey strangers?

I m new at parenting but I have my way to deal with my DD tantrums, I won't give in, by now she knows when I say No I mean it, today she tried for a candy on the check out (classic kids move lol) So I said NO and she was about to start to whimper when I said: if you start to cry not only you are not going to get the candy, you won't see your cartoon for today, so do not cry! she looked at me with those big eyes of her and said sorry mommy and the whimpering stops, Then I go out of the store and the girl who was bagging the groceries ran after me and said the gentleman behind you bought this for the baby, (the dam candy)I think his intentions were good but I don't think I was been mean, I just can't buy everything she ask just because she was going to cry. What is your opinion ladies?

gou18

Asked by gou18 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• i agree with you! And let me say I APPLUADE YOU!!!!! I am new at parenting too but i am around so many mothers that do the empty threats and let their kids get whatever they want and i cant stand it. Maybe i am strict, but who cares, its my kid not theres and maybe theres a reason why my child actually listens to me when i say no, is that a bad thing? As for the gentleman, his intentions were good i guess but it was some stranger undermining your parenting skills, though i probably would have said DD if you throw no more temper tantrums when i say no today and tommrow you can get your candy after your dinner. That way you stick to your original parenting point that you told your daughter no and you mean it, but you still show her the rewards of good behavior do not go unnoticed
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 11:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think that his intentions were good but no I wouldn't butt in like that.  If I KNEW you and lets say, I knew you had to say no because the candy barwasn't affordable then I would buy it and discreetly give it to you to give to her at your discretion.  My kids ask for things all the time that they don't get.  I wouldn't be pissed off in this situation but I would have returned the candy bar/not accepted it.  As good as intentions can be sometimes, it's still undermining your authority in my opinion.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I know people have big hearts and the gentleman was probably impressed with how you addressed the situation and how well your daughter responded to you, he just wanted to buy her a treat. I do feel he was wrong however, your daughter might catch on if this worked on him it'll work on someone else :) Kids are like little sponges and are very smart, they absorb everything!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• it was nice of him but id save it for later
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 1:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't just let her have it! BTw that was very sweet of him.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 7:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That was a very sweet gesture but i too believe that it is kind of underminding you. im not to sure how i would feel about it or not. i guess it would really depend on the mood i was in. He could have at least asked you if it was ok for him to give her the candy bar or gave it to you without her knowing it for later maybe. but i dont think his intentions were bad
    Rylansmommy386

Answer by Rylansmommy386 at 7:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Very nice of him, and I would have thanked him, then saved it for a later time.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2011