food coloring for frosting

I am making an elmo cake and I have made this cake before for my 6 yr old when she was younger...It looked great buts tatsed awful cause of the dye! Wilton has a no taste one has anyone tried it?

I need red, black and orange colors...any sugesstions?

hill2

Asked by hill2 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I have bought the no taste but honestly I didn't notice a difference between that one and just the regular red.

I usually stick with the Wilton buttercream recipe and their colors.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I prefer Wilton's gel colors, I do have the no-taste red but I hesitate to use it as a couple of my kids are sensitive to red dye. One tip - you'll use it, but your frosting will look pink - let it sit in the fridge overnight, and the color will deepen - that goes for black, too. Go ahead and get the no-taste red from Wilton, it's definitely better than food coloring, which isn't good for making frosting anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jan. 19, 2011