Gardening Tips

i wanna do a garden for my son this yr but i have never done one don't even know where to start i don't have a lot of room

mommy223326

Asked by mommy223326 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Depending on what you grow you don't need alot of space. You can also plant in containers for your patio. I do this with tomatos and strawberries.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• im not sure i was going to do it in one of them kid pools so i need so stuff i cant plant together
    mommy223326

Comment by mommy223326 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• What would you like to grow? Flowers? Edibles? Foliage? Also-- big factor is where you live and the type of climate you have.

If you live in an apartment, container gardening is a great idea. If you have some land but a small space, try doing raised beds in layers liked the steppes on a hill.

I got my hubby to garden by planting lots of edibles. We live in the Pacific Northwest, so I made sure I got plants that tolerated lots of rain but little direct sun. It's amazing what we can grow-- I have kiwi, grapes, and all kinds of fruit trees.

Message me if you'd like to know more-- I LOVE gardening!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:08 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Join gardenning groups... I joined them in Yahoo Groups.... learn so much and can even learn about and do "Container Gardenning"... I learned everything from soil, planting seeds, propagating, and was up to Hydrogardens when economy hit the crapper and we took a down turn ourselves
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I am also on various email lists too... "Dave's Garden" is a good one, and members swap seeds or give them as gifts... oh, and I love getting seeds from wintergrown.org
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If you just want to do something small with your son for fun, then I suggest you go to a local hardware store (or a big box store like Lowe's) or a Kmart type store and check out their gardening department. In it you will find kid's seeds or garden kits, which are plants that are fun for children, easy to grow and come with easy to understand step-by-step instructions on how to care for the plants. Since you are a novice at gardening, this would be the easiest way to get started. Then, as you develop your skills & learn more about gardening from library books, websites and/or online groups, you can expand what you grow.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I would do a container garden - here's a good resource to get you started...

http://www.kidsgardening.com/growingideas/projects/feb03/pg1.html

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2011