Is potty training a boy easier than training girls?

I know, it differs from child to child...parenting style to parenting style, but I'm realizing in my home...girls were WAY easier to train. 3 years 4 months, 3 years 2 months....and with my boys...my oldest boy is 4 years and still having accidents (okay, so he's not telling me when he goes because he doesn't want to miss out on fun). My baby will be 2 in April and though we've introduced the potty and he's showing signs that he MIGHT be ready...I'm worried that it'll be harder to train him since we're still having issues with his brother.

Any thoughts? Was/Is it harder for you to train the gender of the child(ren) you have?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 12:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• my step daughter potty trained completely in 5 months ..she was 3.5 at the time..my son will be 3 in April..and REFUSES..to tell us when he has to go..hes More than ready..he can hold it..he can make himself go..he knows what it feels like..he just doesnt want to tell us..

so i'd say boys are harder..and from what everyone ehas told me..thats their opinion too hahah
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• boys are usually harder...My son was like 4 and his sister 25mos now my youngest is a girl and will be 3 in 2mos and she doesn't seem too easy! SIGH
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Boys are usually harder. Boys in general do things a little behind girls. Like talking and potty learning.

Don't worry. Everyone does learn the potty.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:07 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Well I have 1 boy he was trained at 3 and 2 girls (first one at a little bit after 2 1/2 and second one at less then 21/2 )and the girls were easier and done sooner but my son was my first so maybe I learned somethings from training him that made training the girls easier.

I potty trained my friends boy as well but I did that at the same time I was training my daughter and I think he trained easy but there was also a competion factor there.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I found my dd to be easier, but they were both easy, dd took 2 days, her brother 2 weeks. DD was under 2 1/2, and ds was a few months before 3.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My mom and aunts always told me boys are a lot harder to potty train!! I personally can't say, I have one son, lol. But I had it sooo easy!! My son potty trained by 2 years 10 months and he was wearing underwear to bed by 3 years 1 month.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• girls are easier. boys you have to first train them to sit then to stand up. my three year old grand son never has accidients but my 4 year old still waers pullups to bed
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 1:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I won't say boys are harder per say, but they do usually take longer as in are older before they are ready. I have 3 boys and 2 girls. My girls were trained by 2. My sons I waited to start until just before they turned 3 and had no problems.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Until my 3rd daughter was training it was BOYS that were way easier. My son was 2 1/2 when he was fully day trained (he still wets the bed at 9 which has nothing to do with potty training). My girls were 3 years, 2 months and 3 years, 8 months respectively (one older, one younger than him--she is 8 and also wets the bed). I started them all around the same time--slightly after turning 2. When it was time to train the 4th I decided to wait until she was older so we started just after she turned 2 1/2 and a week later she was out of diapers (day and night). We'll see how it goes with our youngest boy. He's only 6 months right now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011