What can I do if I test GBS+ and plan on having a homebirth?

I just found out I tested GBS+ if you have too, ecpecially if you've had a HB please tell me what I can do and what to expect...should I worry??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Less than 2% of GBS positive women transfer the bacteria to the infant. And of those infants, less than 10% get sick from the bacteria.

The test isn't great. There are a lot fo false positives. Actually, a Canadian medical journal just released a study questioning if GBS testing should be done any more at all.

You can put a freshly peeled clove of garlic in your vagina every morning and the remove it at night. But I wouldn't. I wouldn't do anything about it. How far along are you? The results might be different in a day or two.

I had a home birth. I never got tested for it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Here is a link to a new study that shows the treatment does more harm than good and doesn't decrease neonatal deaths.

http://www.suite101.com/content/group-b-strep-treatment-questioned-a139897

Leave it alone. Eat a good diet and rest while you can.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's not a huge deal, but I'd ask your midwife about that one. They may do antibiotics ahead of time, or even while you're in labor still. I'm sure everything will be fine- it's a very common thing.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:08 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• 38 weeks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Treatment with antibiotics-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I would talk to your midwife about it. You don't what percentage of what you are going to turn out as. Why risk it? I was GBS positive and they gave me an IV. I do know that nurse midwives are allowed to do so.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You can choose home remedies and-or antibiotics.
    You can not do anything at all at any point, positive or not...

Always optional.

If you choose to intervene in labor it can hinder labor and is a controversial treatment~ debatable whether it's worth doing.

I would just do the garlic (or other treatments) if you wanted to be proactive.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:12 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• doulala

• he Cochrane Collaboration Announces that
    Intrapartum Antibiotics for GBS is not evidence based.

"There is lack of evidence from well designed and conducted trials to recommend IAP to reduce neonatal EOGBSD."

Translated: There is lack of evidence from well designed and conducted trials to recommend Intrapartum Antibiotics Prophylaxis to reduce neonatal Early-Onset Group B Strep Disease.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2011