Why does the government put flouride in our drinking water?

It's poisonous!

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Health

• Some studies have shown that fluoridation decreases violence and can lead to sedation. The conspiracy theorists believe that it is a way for the government to prevent an uprising.

We are completely fluoride free and have never in my life had a cavity.

The EPA has been warning against fluoride for decades.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No, it does not strengthen bones. Fluoride is linked to bone cancer.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190977,00.html
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• we only use bottled water to drink and refuse fluoride treatments as well,and of course fluoride free tooth paste! i think they still use it cuz they believe it good for us and a lot of people dont know any better!! its sad! its amazing wat a little research will do!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• So is chlorine, so is zinc, so is a lot of stuff. However, our bodies need a little of these chemicals to complete specific functions. Flouride strengthens the enamel on our teeth so that we can keep them longer, don't require so much dental care, and I believe, even to strengthen our bones because it helps calcium bind.

I once read a materials safety data sheet on this substance that if it got in my eyes might cause damage, and if ingested could cause problems too. You know what it was? Sucrose--- aka table sugar.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:36 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think its in small doses when you drink it so its okay. We need it for dental from what I was told. I'm in Japan and its NOT in the drinking water so we have to buy water with fluoride in it. I dunno, for me, its just changing the taste of the water, but I'm still not use to water from the tap.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:36 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• To prevent cavities! I grew up in Ky. where flouride was added to the water, I now live in Oregon and it's not. I can definetly tell the difference with their teeth compared to mine. Plus my teeth are alot stronger. I've always given my boys flouride tablets because it wasn't in the drinking water.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's supposed to be good for your teeth. Whatever!!! It also destroys your thyroid. But as long as your tests come back saying that your thyroid works at or above 30%, eventhough you're exhausted, can't remember things, can't lose weight, and your hair is falling out, you will not get any help. But Ooo yeah, for healthy teeth.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That's interesting ecodani (the decreasing violence) I will have to look that up. We also have started using all natural toothpaste and deny fluoride treatments at the dentist. We drink bottled water but that is also contaminated with fluoride so I can't completely cut it out.

Fluoride used to be used as rat poison.
    Aquarius80

Comment by Aquarius80 (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Does anyone remember "Swish and spit"? Our town's water didn't have fluoride when I was young, so once a week or month they'd come into our classroom with cups of fluoride for all the students and make us swish the nasty tasting crap around in our mouths for a full 30 or 60 secs and I just hoped I wouldn't spray it across the room because of gagging on the taste of it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• So is chlorine, so is zinc, so is a lot of stuff.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

No, Zinc is not poisonous. It's a mineral that heals the skin and is very good in lozenge form for sore throats.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2011