5 month old rolling over in his sleep..

My five month old son just mastered rolling over recently and the last couple nights I've woken up to him moving around only to find him face down on his stomach. I'm one of those mom's terrified of SIDS and have taken the rule of "back to sleep" very seriously. I still check on him every night to see if he's breathing. Now I have a whole new worry! Hopefully someone out there can give me some great advice!

rpetullo

Asked by rpetullo at 12:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If hes able to roll over..u dont have to worry..the whole back to sleep thing is mainly concentrated on the younger infants who cannot roll over..IE the ability to suffocate themselves..sicne hes rolling over..his brain can probaly process and alert his body if hes not getting enough oxygen and initiating him to roll over..IF your still that worried..get one of those Angel Monitors that u place under the matteress..it detects the Slightest movement or nonmovement in ur child!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If he's mastered one way, has he mastered the other? I'm sure if he's mobile somewhat, he can move his face to where he's not smothering himself. If you check him anyway, then no problem I guess. He'll sleep how he's comfortable...otherwise, you'll be making a habit and training yourself to wake up to tend to him even if he starts sleeping through the night. Your child...you do as you will lol, but I think if he can move around to how he's comfortable...he should be fine. G'luck and congrats on the belly roller lol.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• yea thats the only way my daughter would fall asleep and then she finnally mastered rolling over she is 3 now and perfectly fine..
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 12:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My son hated sleeping on his back almost from the day he was born. He would wake up every 20 minutes if I left him on his back. I finally put him on his tummy, and he slept for 2 hours solid. I was a convert. A new study came out showing that the children who died of SIDS also had low seratonin levels in their brain. This neurotransmitter, it is hypothesized, regulates breathing while we are asleep. The kids who had low levels did not have a proper "alarm" for when they weren't getting oxygen, and their bodies couldnt' then react, i.e. couldn't then fuss to wake us up, too, to help them.

Is he truly face down, with his airways blocked? Be sure that the mattress is firm so his face can't sink in. Nothing, including bumpers or stuffed animals, should be where he sleeps. The crib should have slats on all sides for ventilation. Also, running a fan to circulate air is helpful. A video monitor is also nice!!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my dd did that too! she was just fine and now its the only way she will sleep!lol! dont worry he should be fine!

p.s. i still check on my dd 2-3 times a night and she is almost 1 year old! lol its ok to worry its wat we do!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thank you so much for all the advice! I was really struggling with this.
    rpetullo

Comment by rpetullo (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my husband was the same way! he freaked anytime any of the kids rolled over and ihad to tell him if they can roll that way they can roll back.. dont freak my 18 month old will only sleep on his tummy and hes been that way since 5 months!
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 8:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• try to not to worry, once they can roll over on their own theres not much you can do but most babies will roll back over though out the night :) just make sure theres no blanket, crib bumpers, or toys in his bed :)
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 8:32 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it to much. My daughters did the same thing, as soon as they could roll over they never slept on their backs. I still check on my 15 month old before I go to bed.
    kikismom04

Answer by kikismom04 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Once they can roll over there isn't anything you can do about it. They WILL sleep however they want and it's now okay for him to sleep on his stomach. My youngest has been rolling since he was 3 months and has been sleeping on his stomach since then.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2011