Kauai with toddler-- any tips?

Hubby and I are going to Kauai, and bringing our son, who will be 20 months old. Know of any child-friendly activities other than being slugs on the beach (which will constitute the bulk of our trip!) This is a vacation we take once in 10 years, so we want to do it right.

Thanks!

Busimommi

Asked by Busimommi at 12:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Entertainment

• Leave the toddler with Grandma:)
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 1:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Honestly I can't think of anything in Hawaii short of a zoo trip that's going to be suitable for a young toddler. Most everything here is water related. Boats, diving. scuba diving, walking around volcanoes, hiking, horse back riding, etc...

I'd try and leave junior home if you could.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Leaving the toddler with grandma is not an option as this is a family vacation... leaving him at home kinda defeats the purpose of spending time as a family. But thanks ladies.
    Busimommi

Comment by Busimommi (original poster) at 1:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I understand that you're trying to have a family vacation, but Hawaii is not the best option. Kauai, if you're coming from the main land, is generally at least an 8 hour plane trip and Hawaii itself is not conducive to a typical family vacation with a young toddler.

Disney World, etc. would be much better fitting.

I myself have an 18 month old and I live in Hawaii. I can personally tell you that you're going to miss out on a lot of things if you do choose to come here... =/

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thanks. We did the whole honeymoon thing--- went on the helicopter ride, did the hikes, chartered the boats, etc. Seems like we explored everything but the island. We're staying in Poipu, got a direct flight, and actually found some fun things to do with the kiddo after all.
    Busimommi

Comment by Busimommi (original poster) at 2:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Best of luck.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2011