How do you disipline a 2 year old?

I have a problem and i wanted to know how do you deal w/ a temper tantrum? My son is 2 and hes does listen sometimes, he can be a good child but he has a problem w/ his tantrums, what do i do?

brit041

Asked by brit041 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The best thing to do with a temper tantrum is to make sure they're not hurting themselves and then ignore them. Walk out of the room if you have to. Do whatever it was that you were doing before the tantrum. Giving it any attention is sort of like fueling a fire. It'll only make them worse. Once when your son realizes that he isn't going to get his way by throwing a tantrum then they'll start to decrease.

NEVER cave in to a tantrum. Never allow a child to get out of doing something because of a tantrum. Never give a child what they want just so they would stop tantruming. These will only make them worse as they teach him that if he throws a fit he will get his way. The thing to do is to teach him that throwing a fit is not a way to get what you want.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My Daughter has issues with tantrums also...I have started to sit her down on and make her stop crying on her own. It takes a while, but she calms herself and then I usually explain why she can't do what she wanted to do. Good luck.
    hines15

Answer by hines15 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Hugs.
    As lame as that sounds, it works. Don't feed into the negative behavior, Don't argue with them, Just pick them up and hold them, no words. Hold them until they calm down.
    Good luck to you.

TinaBeena1216

Answer by TinaBeena1216 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• i have to agree with amethystrse... walk away... make sure that they cant hurt themselves with anything and walk away... he will finally stop on his own ... once he does go in and tell him that he cant have / do that .. use little words after all he is only 2 but he will understand ... and then give him a hug so he knows your not mad at him but dont give into the tantrum!! good luck!
    mish_1125

Answer by mish_1125 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2008