6 year old swearing at school!!!!!! What would you do?? How to punish?HELP :)

Got a call today from son's school. He had been saying the F word!!!! He is six!!!! Never had anything like this happen before. I moved out 2 months ago, trial separation.

Ashleycash

Asked by Ashleycash at 1:21 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My boy just called another kid in his class a F-head!!! We do not use that word in my house. He got a red card(that's one away from blue, principals office) in school, had to sit in a desk up front facing front, he wasn't allowed to go the the friday party, and when he got off the bus he was crying because he knew that was big trouble. So he told me he said it and didn't know why!! He had no tv,leapster,computer, and Wii, he had to stay in his room all day that first day writing "i will not say bad words" (i know lame) everyday he brought home a green card(which is the best there is) I gave him back one thing everyday!!!!
    erwin_2

Answer by erwin_2 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'd try talking to him and figure out what is going on instead of jumping right in on a punishment. Maybe he is having some serious adjustment issues. I'm not saying that you shouldn't punish him though. If it were my kid I would talk to him first. Maybe take something really important away for a couple days and explain the consequences if it happens again.... like taking his tv away from 2 weeks or taking away his PS3 or something. Best of luck!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 2:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He is hearing that word somewhere, so first things first talk to him and find out where he got that from and find out if he knows what it even means. Second, talk to him about respecting others and himself. Third, tell him if you hear that word or any other bad word come out of his mouth or get another call from school you are going to put soap in his mouth... and follow through! If you dont want to do soap (dawn dish soup works great) then get tabasco sauce put it in a medecine syringe and squirt that in his mouth and burn those words out!!! GL
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• yep. I am sure he knows those words are not to be spoken by a kid his age. I would emphasize that by washing out his mouth with soap. He'll remember next time.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 10:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Young children use curse words because of the reaction they get from other children and adults. (They have no idea what the words mean.) The best response is to say firmly and calmly something like," That's a bad word that people don't want to hear. You are not to say it in school, but you can say it when you are alone in your room or bathroom."  Never, ever put soap or Tabasco sauce in your child's mouth. That form of punishment causes children to become fearful, confused, angry and lowers self-esteem. It sounds like your son is reacting to your recent separation and could use some extra TLC.  If problems continue consider counseling. www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 2:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He could have heard it from school. You would be suprised at what your kids hear at school.
    Punishment talk to him first and then tell him this type of language is inappropriate and if you say it again there will be consquences.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011