How can I help my 7 years old son to stop lying and stealing?

We punished him talking all his privilages ( going his friend's b-day party, TV, diaz, etc.) We talk with him nicely about lying and stealing is not right... still nothing works. Please help! What I should do next?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• if hes doin those things he probly learning it from someone. but you can try takin some of his stuff away and some of his privileges like watching tv hangiin out with friends.
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 1:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If he's behaving this way, he's probably stressed out of his mind, and punishing him is going to make it a whole lot worse.

In his whole life, is there a single person --of any age or size-- who is actually on his side, willing to stick up for him, advocate on his behalf?

I didn't think so.

Remove the reasons he feels the need to steal and lie --pressure to be something he's not, unrealistic expectations for an innocent child, contradictory values (lying is not okay, do not tell grandma she's fat, or anything like that) or abusing his personal power, especially in controlling his personal property.

Children who have their personal (property) boundaries violated do not magically learn to respect other people's property boundaries. It's amazing I know, but a bit obvious if you think about it for 3 seconds.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• personally i'd take him to the police station and have a cop tell him or show him what happens to people that steal
    Mrs.carlton

Answer by Mrs.carlton at 3:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Take his stuff away and claim to know nothing about it ;-) Taste of his own medicine
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:21 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You have to find out what bothers him. If it is taking away privileges like TV xbox,getting together with friends do it. If its cleaning out his room and taking everything out and making him earn it back, do that.
    Scrutinize his friends. A normal 7 year old does not do this on their own.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 11:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2011