Help me figure this out?

I was sent this in an email, and I'm trying to figure out what it means. Does anyone think they know what this is talking about? or maybe what it means to you?

Imagine a Puddle ---

... imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. Douglas Adams

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• To me it is saying that the puddle (person) feels it belongs in the world, and that over time even though it can sense it is getting smaller from drying out it still believes it should be here and finds it hard to accept that someday it won't be (death?). So, when it does dry up completely and disappears it is a surprise that it really happened and hard to accept? It is hard to accept that we will all die? Hope my interpretation is not too sad or pessimistic. Anxious to read what others "see".
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• People who think they are the center of the world never quite accept the fact that they are only filling in the available space.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:32 AM on Jan. 19, 2011