Have you ever did a geneology on your family tree and if so what did you discover?

Iam looking to do a geneology on my family and to find out more about both sides of my family.just to see who else i maybe related to

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 7:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• On my mother's side, I'm related to General Robert E. Lee...but can only trace up to Perry Lee which was one of his relatives...haven't really gotten a clear answer on my dad's side.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 7:21 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That record keeping wasn't very good prior to the 1940s and once you leave the Unite States, the records are even scarcer to find unless the people were important or rich and could afford good record keeping or had reason to be remembered. My family were just dirt poor people with very little so there's very little to track them down prior to leaving Europe.

I pretty much got as far as seeing the date and name of the ship they took to leave Europe on and thats as far back as any records take me.

Dad's side is trickier since he's adopted, I never really know which tree to follow, his bio family or his adoptive one.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• On my dad's side we have the entire line back to King Henry who gave us our last name. I know that my ancestors came over from England (Devonshire) on the Mayflower, and we lost several people in the Revolutionary War. (The only war that my ancestors didn't fight in was the Spanish-American war.)

On my mom's side all we know is that my grandfather's parents immigrated from France. Complete dead end. At some point I'd like to trace that line.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:43 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My mom has traced her family and we have a HUGE family tree. My dad's side also has done theirs and we have a book! On my mom's side we are related to the Steven's family that invented a bunch of stuff - Steven's Institute of Technology in NJ. I am also related to Robert E. Lee (6 greats grandfather) and George Washington (7 greats uncle).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Nope, but my mom is adopted, so it would be very short on that half. I've had friends who have met other family members oversees and have been given even more family history ... it is like a treasure hunt!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 8:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• On my father's mother's side, we have two ancestors families that came over on the Mayflower. This makes me a distant relative of Richard Gere, George Bush, Sarah Palin, Franklin Roosevelt and many others.y cousin has traced that side of the family back to the mid 1400's in England. On my mother's side we are related to Jesse James, his mother and my G-G-grandfather were first cousins.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yes and we found we are related to Abraham Lincoln...pretty interesting stuff
    Wrain44

Answer by Wrain44 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That Anniston Ala. was originally named after my cousin and her father in law is the one that named it after her. He was a reinstated back into the Army as a Brigadier General when the war broke out by his cousin who was Sherman, and he is recorded being at Bull Run.Sherman had slept at another cousins house in Conyers Ga. because he knew of the family connection. He and his men had set up camp there for a few days. The list goes on and on and I am so glad that I started this project and I had taken along break but now I am getting back into it.
    AmI88

Answer by AmI88 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2011