How do I get my kids out of pull ups at night?!!!!!

I don't want to state my kids ages b/c I fear the replies I will get, but both my kids still wear pull ups at night. I really want to get them out of them....I don't want this to continue much longer. All of my friends IRL with kids of similar ages are still struggling with it too.

Any tips or advice as to what I can do?!!!

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• they will when they are ready. Mine were 9. Basically its embarrassment that makes them want to stop.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Are they peeing in them or just wearing them? If they are then stop drinks at least two hours before bed. If not then just try it. Make sure you have a waterproof matttress pad in case. Also have clean sheets nearby so if it happens then you can change them immediatly and go back to bed. My nephew is gonna be 6 and still wears them. Hes just too lazy to get up. So dont beat yourself up over it.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I am in the same boat with you. My 10 year old daughter still wears them. i have tried meds, waking her up in the middle of the night to go. They haven't seemed to help. The Dr. tells me she will eventually stop. So I have just stopped trying everything and trying to wait. Good luck!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My dd stopped at three but I wet the bed as a kid for a few years. All kids are diff
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• We cut the drinks off at 7pm. It stops the bed wetting and if the bed wetting is no more, they can remember to go potty first thing when they wake up. You can always get one of those plastic sheets that absorbs mess if they do have an accident, but mostly just cut the drinks off at a certain point and see how it goes. G'luck to you!
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 7:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm trying to trust my gut that my kids do everything when they are ready, in terms of developmental stuff. But this just sometimes really makes me worry. but thank you for your responses.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My soon to be 9 year old ds wears goodnights to bed. It's no big deal, we've tried everything and his body just isn't programmed to wake up to pee yet. My dh was almost 12 when he stopped wetting the bed, it's hereditary.  Our dr. said she'd never met a child yet that went off to college wearing goodnights. So we don't worry about it at all. I think pushing the issue or getting upset about it makes it worse since the kids really can't help it. HTH

TJFBGMommy

Answer by TJFBGMommy at 7:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• When children will be dry at night varies all over the place. My brothers and I were 10 or so before we were. And my own kids were about 6-7. Be calm about it and wait it out. Their body simply has to mature and it varies for everyone. Out friends had their son on a prescription nasal spray that seemed to help him a lot. That might be something to run by your doctor. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• what i had to do with my son was cut off his drinks about a good hour before bedtime and right before bed make him go potty. to him pull ups were like a diaper. so i ended up having to get a plastic mattress cover. u can get them at like walmart for 10 to 20 bucks depending on what size bed. it covers the entire mattress and should have a zipper or closure of some sort. and i told him no more pull up period. he did wet himself and the bed for a little while longer but eventually he got sick of waking up wet cold and in a wet bed. but it did work. it is a process and not a very pleasant one. but eventually they will get the hang of it. when he wakes up dry make a HUGE deal of it. clap and praise him. and when he does wet the bed let him know sometimes it happens and the next night tell him we will try again. dont punish him for it because like other posters said they may just need more time to be able to control their bladder
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I have 5 kids. 2 of them were in pull ups at night only until the age of 6 or so. My doc told me that this issue is physiological and will clear up on its own...and it did. Don't worry about it. It is not like they refuse to use the bathroom in the day hours. Just let this go, it will happen in its own time.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2011