How many/Which languages can you speak or have you studied?

I've always been so jealous of people who were raised in households where they speak two or more languages and they're fluent, it's just not fair.

I speak English natively (obviously) but after that I've studied French and Latin for 5 years (I'm still rubbish at them but I can muddle along). And I speak a fair amount of Japanese as I stayed there for a while and studied before hand. However I don't think I'll ever be fluent in any of them!

You guys?

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 7:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Je parle un peu de francais, mais ce n'est pas tres bien. I'm jealous that you've studied Latin, though, I've always wanted to!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 7:30 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm from England so my native language is English but I grew up in Montreal so I speak some French.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I can speak some French and Spanish, but I'm not even close to fluent. I'd like to take some classes or get the Rosetta Stone. (DH is learning Korean using that program, he's doing pretty well.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I speak English, dabbled in Russian (I remember one word!), studied Latin, Spanish (remember enough to greet people and understand bits), and Dendi. Dendi is a tribal language in Benin. I lived there for 6 months and could understand just about everything by the time I left. I spoke it very slowly!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I studied Spanish in school, French in college, a bit of Brazilian Portuguese before a business trip there, a little Russian, German, and Japanese for fun.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• english and mandarin chinese. hubby is chinese and speaks only that to my daughters as well as my in laws. I am not fluent in Mandarin but i learn more everyday.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 8:12 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I took Spanish in high school. I can understand some but can not speak it. Then I took German in College. It was super duper hard and I was working and pregnant so I really don't remember much of that at all.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 8:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Little Spanish, Japanese but haven't used it often so have lost a lot.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• english and spanish and a little of ASL but if you don;t use it you lose it but i absolutely love ASL
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• 4 years of high school french but can't remember much. some Spanish because many live in this area.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2011