Out of control cat

My cat used to be so well behaved. But lately not so much. He's started using the bathroom in the house, randomly attacking my sons (who have always been gentle and loving with him), and generally acting out. The only thing that has changed is that I am expecting a new baby. Already we had an issue where he peed on some of the new baby's blankets I had set out. Does anyone know how to get him to behave. If something doesn't give, we'll have to find him a new home.

mandaday

Asked by mandaday at 7:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pets

• Maybe he has an infection thats causing him to be uncomfortable and aggressive and peeing. Take him to the vet and go from there.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Crystals in his bladder would be very painful, or an infection. He needs to see the vet as soon as possible to rule out illness.

Answer by Bmat at 7:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i had a cat that did that..when i had my first he started pooping under his crib... we had to give him away bc obv that was super unsanitary for a newborn..maybe take him to the vet and see what they have to say
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He recently had his one year checkup and they said everything was fine, but I will take him back and have them check again. I don't know which scares me worse- that something is wrong with him health-wise, or that he is healthy and this is just his personality now.
    mandaday

Comment by mandaday (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I had a female cat that started acting like that when I was pregnant. I had to rehome her. Cats dont like change.....so the cat probably knows something is going on.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• At the yearly check up they don't usually check for a UTI. This is a test that you would request based on symptoms. I agree with having him checked.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 11:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• its the new baby. animals are very smart when it comes to natural changes in their surroundings. the baby clothes are new, so he has to mark them. my 2 cats went bazerk with the new baby in the house, did the same things. the boy is altered so its not normal spraying, but they thankfully grew out of it in a week or two when they got used to baby. good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• they dont like change but they can get used to it, its like a child having to adjust to a new sibling. my vet said the peeing on things is actually not to be bad but just a normal marking routine-not that it makes it any less irritating. my vet said to make sure kitty is still getting attention he is used to and include him as much as possible in new changes. when you are in the hospital have someone bring something home with baby's scent on it so kitty can smell it before you bring the baby home and when you get home for the first time have someone else carry baby in and give kitty attention first and tell him how good he is. he has to feel like he isnt being replaced, i know its hard but if you really want to keep kitty try to make an effort
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i would say keep the cat and show him/her extra love and attention and maybe make it an outdoor cat if possible?
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 3:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2011