my 5 week old baby

Ok heres some background...Paige was born 12-19-201o at 39 weeks even by csection. there was meconium present. and how almost 4 weeks ago she caught a cold, then she was getting so congested she would cough and puke her formula back up, turn red in the face, then her lips turned blue. So I took her to 1 hospital they kept her over night. They told me she has a upper respitory tract infection. Then she got worse, where she stop breathing in her sleep for a few seconds, so I took her to a childrens hospital, kept her overnight again, kept her in insoluation room, they ran a bunch on tests, all came back neg, and told me she still ahs a cold..They think she had the 1st cold got kinda of better, then recaught another cold that made her sicker...But now shes still sick, and stops breathing in her sleep, and still pukes her formula and when she caughs she cant catch her breath. Tomm she goes back to the ped. Do you think they will put her back in the hospital? My baby has been through alot already...They also told me they may give a monitor to come home with that will monitor her breathing..and will go off when she stops breathing...I am really scared for her to the point she sleeps with me at night so i can feel and hear her breathe....I am at my wits ends

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 7:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im sorry you are going through this. I wouldnt leave until every test is done. Including xrays and such. Maybe she needs a nebulizer or something for sleep apnia. I would just take her to the ER and let them run all of the test. Good luck!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Ok I have a son who was born early and had a problem bringing his feeds back up, one this may be reflux so have they checked her valve? two hospital staff some of them think we are paroniod mothers, put your foot down take her to hospital and say you want her in until they find out the cause of her problems, get nasty if you have to, I did, turned out son had whooping cough, doctor said he didnt, so demand demand demand dont let anyone tell you you are crazy or paroniod. You want answers and that is that, sorry but this was the only way they ended up listening and I ended up in a bad state from not getting heard.Demand the monotor. Hope this helps dont be shy, I have had two children and two grand children so I know what I am saying.
    suzzie7777777

Answer by suzzie7777777 at 7:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree. Get every test done untill you find out what is wrong. Having a sick child is scary at any level. Good luck.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 8:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• omg im so sorry you have to go through this.. having a child in the hospital esp a newborn is never easy... i agree with everyone else get all the tests done so you can rule out everything...i pray that it IS just a cold but better safe than sorry
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 8:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• they may want to but more likely they will send you home with a monitor and possibly scedual a sleep study for sleep apnea (where you stop breathing in your sleep) my ds gets sick alot and has done the in and out of hospitals so i know how hard it is and all. but just hang in their cry when you feel like crying and just hug and cuddle her :)
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 8:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Has anyone talked to you about kangaroo care to regulate breathing?

Is she allergic to the formula? It's not too late to relactate
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My daughter stopped breathing once at daycare when she was 2 months old. We weren't sure if she choked on spit up or what. We took her to the ER and they ran a lot of tests on her. She stayed there for several days. They couldn't find anything wrong with her, but they did send us home with a nebulizer which we used for several months just in case.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2011