FBI investigating bomb found on the route of a MLK parade , thoughts?

SPOKANE, Wash. – Federal agents are investigating race as a possible motive behind an abandoned backpack containing a functional bomb after it was left along the downtown route of a Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade.

"The confluence of the holiday, the march and the device is inescapable, but we are not at the point where we can draw any particular motive," said Frank Harrill, special agent in charge of the Spokane FBI office.

The suspicious backpack was spotted by three city employees about an hour before the parade was to start Monday, Harrill said. They saw wires and immediately alerted law enforcement, who disabled it without incident, he said.

The discovery before the parade for the slain civil rights leader raised the possibility of a racial motive in a region that has been home to the white supremacist Aryan Nations.

Spokane Mayor Mary Verner said the attempted bombing was unacceptable.

"I was struck that on a day when we celebrate Dr. King, a champion of non-violence, we were faced with a significant violent threat," Verner said. "This is unacceptable in our community, or any community."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:03 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My thoughts? Hell, I would certainly hope they are investigating it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my thoughts? that bombs are bad and dangerous and that whom ever left it there was obviously sick in the head?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree wholeheartedly with Carpy. An investigation definitely needs to be done.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• There were questions the other day about where we are in terms of racsim, no comments on that?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It doesn't have to be about racism. It can just as easily being about the existence of a crowd of people. Any crowd! Sick people do sick things. it isn't really an indicator of the sentiments of an entire community.  If we learned anything for the Tuson incident it is that sick people don't have to be motivated by something that might sell more newspapers.  They can just be sick.

Until the investigation indicated otherwise you really shouldn't be just making sh*t up for the drama of it all.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• The FBI is investigating RACE as the cause for the bomb
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Do they know who did it and why? I don't want to introduce racism to the debate unless there is proof that it was the reason.

A comment though about the racism thing.  I didn't get involved in the other question about it because I am where I have always been on racism.  I'm against it.  I was not raised racist, I don't conduct myself as a racist, I don't teach my kids to be racist and I don't hang in circles that are racist.  I naturally have no idea where we are regarding racism because it's never been a part of my life.  My position naturally would think that things are not as bad as others say they are, but I guess it has more to do with your life experience.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• from your article:

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Federal agents are investigating race as a possible motive behind an abandoned backpack containing a functional bomb after it was left along the downtown route of a Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2011