my son is 3 yr old..and he just wont go on the potty..i mean goes pee pee sometimes on it but he refuses to do number 2...idk y..is it just me or is it really hard to potty train a kid to go number 2??i even put underwear on him and that dont work he just goes in them

potty training

ANTSMOM415

Asked by ANTSMOM415 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As a 2 year old teacher who toilet learns kids all day, I can tell you it is very typical to have a hard time getting a child to do #2 on the potty for the first time. If He usually goes #2 at a certain time, I would try sitting him on the potty at that time. If he does poop in his pants, when you change him, walk with him and the soiled pants into the bathroom, and dump the poop in the potty, while explaining to him that's where the poop goes. When he does make a #2 on the potty, make a HUGE deal about it- hoot & holler, jump up and down. They love the recognition they get! You can also try rewards. I have one parent who, while their daughter was toilet learning, would give her one m&m each time she went pee, and a tootsie roll of she pooped. Pick a reward that is something he would really like.
    Good luck to you! :)
    TinaBeena1216

Answer by TinaBeena1216 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I had the same exact problem... We tried positive re enforcement and negative.. he just wouldnt do it. We finally got it down because we would make a HUGE deal about it. I started a star chart...everytime he did number 2 in the potty he got a star.. 5 stars and he got something special..maybe a toy or an ice cream cone... and we would yell and dance in the br EVERYTIME he went number 2 in the toilet... that seemed to work.
    nikitaboom

Answer by nikitaboom at 10:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2008