do you think teachers should be paid more?

i was just thinking about it the other day, how we pay celebs to simply "act" as teachers millions while the women and men actually doing the job, the ones educating the next generations of america get paid pretty crappy!

SimplyErathy

Asked by SimplyErathy at 8:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am a teacher- take out celebs and sports stars- and I feel like in our area we are like anyone else- some of us are underpaid and honestly some are overpaid ;)
    I love your point and I thank you for thinking so highly of what we do!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I do think that most teachers are grossly underpaid. I'd like to see better pay for teachers, and also to have districts do away with tenure so the worst teachers can be fired.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think teacher should get paid a lot more than what they get. Teachers are the one that provide sucess for dr., lawyer, Dentist, and everyone else.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yea. For sure. One teacher can make a world of difference in a childs life
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 8:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm a teacher, and I think the pay is perfectly sufficient for the amount of days we work per years plus the awesome extremely low cost/low deductible medical benefits plan and PENSION package (that includes full medical for life), that we can end up collecting for some 20+ years after we retire! Hardly any private company gives pension plans anymore, so that alone makes up for the "getting less pay" during our active working years.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I don't believe that teachers should be paid on performance (i.e. standardized test scores) but I do believe there should be a system in place so that the best teachers are paid more, and the less skilled teachers are paid less. I also agree with doing away with tenure- you may have a terrible teacher who's been teaching twenty years, and when cut-backs come the teacher with five years in but gets results will lose their job first.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree with Annabel1809Lee - I know a few teachers, one in my family. everything I say things like 'should be pain on performance' they come back claiming that it all costs money, and you wouldn't want to pay that in taxes.

that all stopped when I told him that until he could come up with some kind of figure as to what it would cost me as a taxpayer, come up with another comeback. He doesn't know what I'm willing to pay or not pay.
    Of course he hasn't, this teacher of our future generations doesn't have the math skills to make change half the time.

I know there are some wonderful teachers out there, but I feel they are the exception and not the norm. When I'm working with people who are considered to be higher ups that don't understand that 50% of something is half, I have a hard time believing that our system is much.
    myself, I say most are paid just fine if not overpaid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think some people thing that teachers are overpaid, especially considering they get summers and winter breaks off. But most teachers work a lot of hours outside of school or outside their normal "contract" hours. My DH is a teacher and he goes in at 6:15 everyday and leaves at 4:00 everyday taking 20 minutes for lunch (that's almost 10 hours at work = 50 hours/week) and then he goes in for 2-3 hours everyday Sunday and grades and does stuff in the evening. All in all he puts in about 55 hours a week (and he coaches on top of that, but he gets paid for that). He even works some in the summer having meetings and preparing for the next year.

Considering that teachers are responsible for managing behaviors of 30 students at a time, teaching 30 different learning styles and levels (ranging from special ed to gifted in the same class), instilling morals, developing relationships, etc. they're grossly underpaid. But most...
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• In most of the country I would say you are right, but in New York, teacher are paid VERY well and frankly we get darn good results. Our teachers are required to get masters degrees. Their starting pay isn't all that great around 35-40k, but they get multiple bumps every year. Many 20+ year teachers who coach or sponsor clubs are well over 100k for a lot less than the 2000 hours of work that a normal 9-5 50 week a year job provides. The down side is if they get burn out they won't quit and leave these great hours, pay and benefits. We have a lot of arrogant teachers. And we have a lot of bitter teachers who would have retired years ago if it weren't for the 6 figure salary.  They also can't just switch districts. If they switch districts they lose their seniority (called years of service) and go back down on the pay scale.  So some of them are truly trapped by their lifestyles and mortgages. 

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• (con't) ...of them don't do it for the pay, they love what they do. Teaching is one of the hardest jobs out there and the declining involvement of parents in the education of their students is making it even harder. Not to mention that teachers are held 100% accountable whether students pass or not (even though a good portion of students' success is based on home). If a student does not reading or homework at home, it's still the teacher's fault if the student fails.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now...lol.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2011