Are non-Christians your brothers and sisters? Would this upset you if your gov said the same?

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

The Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday called Bentley's remarks shocking.

"His comments are not only offensive, but also raise serious questions as to whether non-Christians can expect to receive equal treatment during his tenure as governor," said Bill Nigut, the ADL's regional director.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• The official with the Anti-Defamation League, which fights discrimination against Jewish people, said it sounded like Bentley was using the office of governor to advocate for Christian conversion.

"If he does so, he is dancing dangerously close to a violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which forbids government from promoting the establishment of any religion," Nigut said.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i guess thats one mans opinion. as far as i'm concerned i have 1 brother and 1 sister.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No. I'm an only child! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• he's in alabama? well that bible belt country right there..no wonder. he is just trying to side with most of the population
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I really wouldn't want someone who thinks like that to consider me his sister anyway. But I'm glad I'm not in his district.
    Think of it this way though. Now that he's said something like that, he really has to be fair, because people will be looking for him to behave otherwise.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 8:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He's obviously a bigoted asshole, but the real question is - how much power would he have to actually slight anyone? Unless the state legislature is complicit with that point of view, his being outspoken and stupid doesn't compel them to deliver bills for him to sign that enforce religious discrimination. And if the legislature is complicit, Alabama has a much bigger problem than one bigoted asshole. In the meantime, anyone who gets fired or laid off within state government for at least the next six months was just handed a golden ticket of a discrimination card to play.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

•  But I'm glad I'm not in his district

me too

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• At least he was honest, I guess. That kind of bigoted thinking is pretty popular in the Bible Belt, but I'm surprised that he actually said the words. I wouldn't want to be considered a sister of his, he's narrow minded.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

•  In the meantime, anyone who gets fired or laid off within state government for at least the next six months was just handed a golden ticket of a discrimination card to play

which will COST $$$

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2011