when did you try COL method and does it work?

my baby boy is almost two months old, and I think it's too early to use cry out loud method right? He eats every 3 hrs during the night, by the time I bf him, then burp a hr already gone. He sleeps around 1hr and half or 2hrs (which is very short). He usually wakes up crying b/c he's tired or hungry. Couple of time he woke up crying and when I hold him he went back to sleep for another hr. How do I get him to sleep longer without waking up?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 8:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't make a baby that young sleep. Getting up every hour or two is what they do. Stick it out. It won't last forever. He wakes because he needs to eat. He is growing very rapidly right now.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:43 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My baby is 4 months old and I still don't let her cry it out. However, she has always slept really well. Ever since we brought her home from the hospital she only wakes up once or twice to eat, she is breastfed. Do you still swaddle? I stopped for a while, but started again when I realized it helped her sleep. Maybe you could try that. My dd wakes herself up because she will startle herself or just kick out of the blanket. Keeping her swaddled helps her feel safe and warm.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• he is 2months old. it comes in time my dear. they have very small tummies so they need to eat every few hours. just enjoy every single minute. even the 4am feedings you will miss one day.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• The CIO method only is used for children over the age of 6 months really and even that is too young for some children. Your child is supposed to be waking up every two hours, because they're hungry and need to be changed. It comes with having an infant. There isn't anything garunteed you can do to make him sleep through the night. His body is growing soo rapidly that he needs that extra food every two hours. Just suck it up and do your job as a parent, it's what's best for him .. Not you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He's doing exactly as he should be doing. His stomach is really small, it can't hold very much milk, he needs frequent feedings. He's also brand new to this world and needs to know you are nearby to protect him.

Are you co-sleeping? That's the beauty of breastfeeding. No sleepless nights! You know that hour you spend feeding and putting him back to bed? You could be sleeping. When he wakes up, just latch him on and you can both go back to sleep! Babies can wake for a very long time for a variety of reasons and the best way to deal with it is NOT ignoring their needs, it's adjusting your life so that you both get what you need.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I stressed out alot when I decided to do this. My LO is 4 1/2 mo old and I started when she was 3 1/2. I couldnt stand to hear her cry, so my husband offered to take the monitor and sleep in the spare bdrm while I slept and couldnt hear her crying at night. I am supplementing her, and she slowly began to sleep all night long. It took a good 3 weeks though. Now if she has gas or something, that wakes her up, but she self soothes with her hands and is able to go back to sleep. Its so heartbreaking though
    hdsears

Answer by hdsears at 2:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He's young, and I wouldn't expect him to sleep much longer for a while. Their stomachs are tiny at this age, and need to be refilled often. Crying it out, while not something I'm very comfortable with, is not recommended until about 9 mos I believe, even by people who advocate this method.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011