Assuming Religious Beliefs?

I am moving to Louisville in two weeks. Throughout the process (talking to Realtors), I have been asked at least three times what church I belonged to, and told what churches (Catholic and Baptist only)are in the neighborhood. The gentleman that owns the house we will be renting even offered to introduce us to the congregation and see if he could get us into the band.

I wasn't offended, they were trying to be nice - but why was it assumed that I was Christian?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 8:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• People who are part of the majority tend to forget that there are people out there who aren't.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• but why was it assumed that I was Christian?

Because you're moving to Louisville. Welcome to the bible belt.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• they are just nosy and trying to figure you out
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• because lord forbid if they were dealing with sum devil worshipers
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Welcome to the Bible Belt! I live in TN, and it's usually one of the first things people ask when they meet you. I also lived in southern KY for a while, and that's where my DH's family is from. I have to pick and choose who to tell the whole truth of my beliefs to and who I want to dodge or dance around the questions with. Vague answers work well for most, but sometimes they will keep asking follow up questions, then I have to change the subject or tell them I'm private about my beliefs. Sometimes I say, 'I was raised Presbyterian.' and sometimes they just accept that as an answer. Other times they start asking what church I attend or notice the past tense and ask what I believe now. Most just let it go if you're not the same denomination. Usually people are trying to be helpful (when you move to a new area), but it can be awkward and annoying for those who don't fit in with the mainstream religions of the area.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Just like if you moved to Utah they'd assume you were Mormon.

Just one of those things based on demographics and all that jazz.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Because that is a multi-generational assumption born from years of christian dominance in this country. And in their minds, no one could POSSIBLY be anything BUT a christian because no other religions EXIST in America, after all (HEAVY sarcasm). It's called walking thru life with blinders on! I would ignore him, too. He might give up after a while. No guarantee, but he MIGHT!.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It is geographical. If you were moving to Nashville, they might think you were a country music fan and The Grand Ole Opry would dominate the conversation. Who knows????
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Welcome to the South! When we moved here to Memphis every single person we ran into did the same thing! Of course, telling them the truth (that we're LDS) either ran them off for good or only served to intensify their efforts to bring us into their particular fold.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Kinda like people assume that if you are from California you are tan, blonde and skinny woman or a big hunk of a man. hahaha
    Or if you are from San Francisco either you are assumed to be gay or a hippie ... rolls eyes!

California I think is the most mixed pot of a state! However Hollywood did a good job painting it something else!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2011