Popular names--then and now

Isnt it funny how names change popularity? I think of old names like Bertha, Gertrude, Agnes...etc A few boys names too like Cornelius and Elmer....lol Im not bashing if you do in fact like these names...But I cant look at a newborn and call them any of these and others! lol What do think??

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I woulsd have loved to have a girl and name her Sophia, my great grand ma was names Sophia. For a boy my husbands fathers namr is Garner he is super swet and the nicest patient I had when I was working was Elmer-how cute!! The kid would never survive with a name like this but I think we need to go back to the classics, kids names are getting crazy, made up and out of hand!!!!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree.... they have a young couple I know that named their little girl Josephine Irene..... the first time someone told me that babys name I was like No for real whats the kids name!!!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yeah. Crazy isnt it. I think its funny how people now try to spell names different to. my step sons sisters name is Oleivea Maree. Really...it is almost like her mother sounded it out to spell it.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• there are names out there that I think people just take the little plastic magnetic letters, toss them in the air and what ever they catch is the baby's name!
    But I guess if you like it. I suggest shouting the name a few times like your angry if you still like it then go for it! (Shawn Joseph you get in her right now. Michael David stop hitting your sister!)
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree. It's just like clothing trends, though. Maybe one day Bertha will become popular again, lol.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 10:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• but some names have made a comeback and they are really cute like Betsy, Ella, Emma
    lizschumaier

Answer by lizschumaier at 11:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• LOL its funny how in so many years from now ppl will think the same of what we named OUR kids!
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• What about Barnaby? LOL
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I like some old fashioned names like Emma and Jack. But some names to me are old people names like George, Hazel, Phineus, (what was Julia Roberts thinking?) When I tried out my kids names I tried to find adults and kids with those names to see if they still "matched "their names.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 12:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011