About Breastfeeding??!?

This will be my 3rd baby I never have breastfeeed. With my 2nd he was in the NICU so they tried to get me to pump & I tried & didnt like it. I gave up to fast didnt realize I would only get a very small amount of milk , I was thinking I would get a bottle full!!
I am wondering what kind of pump should I get I am clueless, I want a good one so I wont give up . Does anybody know anything or maybe a good website I can check out with some good information & tips on breastfeeding?

THANKS :)

IloveJesus316

Asked by IloveJesus316 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I rented a double electric pump from the hospital with my 4th and 5th. With my first three I had a battery powered single pump. The difference between the two is night and day - I got so much more milk from the hospital grade pump. Unless you have a few hundred to drop on a really good pump, I would just rent one. You still have the buy the attachments (cost around $50) but it actually turned out cheaper in the long run for me to rent.

Answer by missanc at 8:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Contact the hospital you are going to deliver at. They will be able to tell you about a laction office in your area that will help you in learning what to do as well as the products avaible.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i would call the LLL :) they have a botline and can point you in the right direction!
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 8:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Medela brand is a great brand. They are expensive but is worth it.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 9:12 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm trained as a breastfeeding peer councilor. The best pump for you will depend on how you will be using your pump. With a baby in the NICU, it's best to nurse as often as possible and to use a hospital grade pump so your little one can have your milk for other feedings. My youngest stayed at the hospital for 5 days and at 3 lb 14 oz, he was too small to latch so he got my pumped milk in a bottle until he was big enough to latch. His twin brother was 2 lb bigger and came home with me. He nursed all his feedings and other than when I had clogged ducts, I didn't need a pump with him. With my oldest, I pumped to have my milk to put in her cereal. She was a lightweight so I didn't want to put water in her cereal nor did I want to introduce formula because of concerns about allergies. I used an Ameda one hand manual pump. If you are going back to work, there's a better pump for that.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It depends on what you need it for. Are you expecting another NICU stay? Are you going back to work/school? If yes to either, they you need a double electric medela or ameda.

If you're expecting a full-term baby, and don't plan to be separated from baby on a regular basis, you can just get a manual pump. I have a lasinoh that works great, avent and medela also make good manuals.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Depending on how often you need to use it. My first had to stay bc of jaundice and I used the hospital pump and I saw no difference in that and my medela pump. I def recommend medela. You can find used pumps and just buy the tubes and accessories.
    mommyIam08

Answer by mommyIam08 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thanks everyone !!!! I didnt know I could rent one so I am def gonna check that out :) I am a stay at home mom so the baby will always be with me....work????? what's that hehehe :p

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!
    IloveJesus316

Comment by IloveJesus316 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If you're going to SAHM, you don't NEED a pump, but many find it nice to have one. For very occasional pumping, a hand pump is a good choice. Tell me what you anticipate your pumping needs to be, and I can give you more suggestions. Renting a hospital grade pump can be expensive over time, and is really only necessary for long term/exclusive pumping, such as a NICU stay, or extended absence.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011