Why would you keep your kid in a bad daycare and then say how great daycare is?

My friend has a 3 year old. She is in daycare full time and goes if her mom needs to her to or not. She's pregnant and claims she's too tired to keep her home... Anyways she's always complaining about the daycare. She knows I'm against daycare so one day she's telling me how beneficial it is and how my kid is going to be behind. And then the next she's telling me how her daughter was crying at the table when she got there and nobody knew why or cared. So why keep her there??? Now I understand some moms have to work. But daycare is not the best option! I worked for about 6 months and my son had a babysitter. He will never go to daycare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• not all daycares are like that. and saying its not the best option doesn;t mean its not the best option for everyone. sometimes people don;t have family around or their circumstances they have no choice. and my daughter is in daycare and she loves it and they are not like that so to assume that all daycares are like that is kind of judgemental and the fact that you are anonymous means you dont; really stand by what you believe it. if you believe it what you sayd why not post with your name.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• She's lazy. If she's taking her there when she doesn't need to be then it's a way for her to get her out of her hair. You should tell her how you feel, someone needs to speak for the child..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Personally, I loved my children being in daycare when I worked. I didn't even consider having someone watch them at their home. The daycare I chose had a good preschool program, my oldest learned sign language before he was three. Everyone has their own reasons for choosing home care vs. day care, and there are good and bad providers regardless.

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Daycare has some advantages. For working moms, it's a lifesaver. My daughter goes to a home daycare, I would never trust a center, I used to work for a good one, but I hear horror stories about them.
    Anyway, my daughter used to go to Ms Diane's daycare when I first went back to work. She loved it. The exposure to other kids and other people was very good for her, since she is so attached to me. Ms Diane is an excellent babysitter and educator. She's not so good with the parents, but she is absolutely amazing with the kids.
    After I moved, I found a daycare that was 3 houses down from mine. That when Cecilia changed to Ms Vickie's daycare. Its almost like leaving her with grandma. Cecilia loves it so much that when she's home for an extended period of time she starts asking to go visit. She gets to socialize with other kids and play with toys we don't have at home. Ms Vickie has gotten to know her well and they love each so much
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My sister has been a Teacher for 20 yrs. She said that she can tell which kids are daycare kids, and which were at home full time.. The daycare kids are unruly, and cling to her, the stay at home kids were more independent and didn't need her every second. All our boys were home with me, full time. I don't care how much everyone wants to justify daycare, it's not good for kids. They need to feel stable at home with one of their parents fulltime. I worked at a daycare/preschool, and the kids missed their parents so much that they would act out for attention. They knew their parents would come if they did, so they just kept doing it.... I feel so bad for the little ones stuck in a kennel for kids...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• some daycares are great others are not
    but when child is three, not bad to have in daycare- ot os like a school setting, and prepares child for kindergarten
    why does this friend waiver back and forth? maybe she has good and bad days, or maybe telling you what she thinks you want to hear, or becuae of pregnancy horomones- all of these are guesses
    just becuase a child crys when dropped off does not make a daycare bad or bad for child
    separation issue pretty common at this age
    i worked at daycare many years ago and lots of kids have crying when parent drops off, but stops in minutes when child sees other kids having fun

to each her own when it comes to child care, does not sound like from this post that the daycare is bad, just a mom having a horomal day and saying what you want to hear-imo
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:11 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my kids hated daycare and they only went for about two months before i quit because it was hurting my kids more then helping. My three year old son at that time was bitten so bad on his back that he has a scar from it to this day, and from what the working staff told me is that a 7 year old child bit my son and they could not get him to open his mouth so they had to call his mom and ask how, they had to plug his nose for him to open it. my kids were so scared of going to daycare that they hated just getting in the car cause they thought they were going to daycare. also no one told me that my son was bit i found it that night at his bath. so some daycares suck and suck bad, others are good because i had a friend who runs her own daycare out of her home did great with my kids and my kids loved her house it all just depends.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• A kennel for kids?? Does this mean I can call my job a kennel for adults? Lol!!!!!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i feel like they start kindergarten soon enough anyway, i never even thought of putting my kids in daycare or pre k. i prepared them for kindergarten myself at home. i can see putting them in there if you must bc you work but i don't understand why ppl want to rush school on their little ones, its not hard to teach them yourself, young kids learn more if taught by their parents anyway. neither of my kids did pre k and are so much smarter and more well adjusted than most of the other kids.
    sheilabug

Answer by sheilabug at 9:21 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Kennel for kids???? Seriously???? I see you didnt post your name either..good call! There are so many good daycares out there and personally I dont think we hear enough about them..when one is bad however, everyone is all over them and so quick to say they are ALL BAD! I can say one thing..there are ALOT of children in daycare where its alot better enviornment then their home is..so should we now say that all working parents dont know how to raise kids and they are bad??
    lilshelby

Answer by lilshelby at 9:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2011