How can I get my 4 yr old son to stop hurting our family dog?

We have a 6 pound chi-mix, she is so sweet don't bother anyone. My 4 year old son, will kick,smack, throw things, and it's not getting any better. I put him in time out when he does these things, and I have even gave him a spanking on his butt. I have given her for a few days to my cousin, but when she came home was right back to the same things again. I'm scared he will even up hurting her so bad/or kill her. She don't bite him, she just runs and shakes. Any suggestions? Has anyone else went through this?

blessedmom74

Asked by blessedmom74 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would find her a loving home where she can feel comfortable, and be able to live a normal life. If your son is like this now, he shouldn't be around any animals. The poor animal deserves a good life.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• when the dog retaliates, that usually teaches them to respect the creature. We do that with our cats. The animals give plenty of warning and chances to back-off, so the kid can't come crying that Whiskers took a swipe at him after he'd been warned off already. They need to learn these are not toys, but are living creatures with their own minds and feelings and that is their only way to communicate with us (thru actions).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He's old enough to be taught about nice touches. If he is refusing to be nice to the dog & you're punishing him EVERY time he does it, then I see no alternative but to let your cousin keep the dog. It's not fair to the dog. Maybe in a year or so when he's more mature, you can see how your son handles being around animals. If he still wants to hurt them, then I would suggest counseling. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm going to take her to my moms house today and leave her there for a while, because I feel like that she don't derseve to have all these things happening to her... Thanks
    blessedmom74

Comment by blessedmom74 (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• tell him you are giving the dog away to people who are nice (then take the dog to your moms without your son knowing)..tell your son if he thinks maybe he can be nice maybe those people will let you have the dog back..you will have to call and ask..lol. but if he is ever mean again that you will have to give the dog away forever
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• oh..you tried that, but did you tell him you were giving it away?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think that is a great idea to take her to your Moms for awhile. That is great you have that option, to hopefully teach him a lesson while it isn'ta permanent situation and hopefully you can reintroduce her into your home.
    My 4 y/o DD is constantly all over our dog. He is a 55 pound mutt so I have no concerns she is going to physically hurt him. She isn't mean in the way you described your son. But she is constantly sticking her hands in his mouth (he is about 1 so he is still a chewer), hugging him, patting him, etc. Sometimes she gets rough and I feel like I am constantly telling her to leave him alone.
    DH and I just keep thinking this is going to stop, we got this pup in Sept and is our 3rd so we hope the novelty will wear off. It hasn't and is just as strong s the day we rescued him.
    Have you considered taking him to an animal shelter or having an animal control officer or police talk to him about it?
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yes, I told my son that I was taking Dasiy(the dog) to grandma's and that grandma was going to keep her. My son put on a show cried for a while, but that was about it. @dragonflylovr19- I know I am constantly telling my son to "stop", and I mean I am ALWAYS put him in time out, in his bed, and even take toys away from him, and I have even spanked his butt.... So yes I am going to take Dasiy to my moms house, and I like that suggestion about taking my son to the animal settler, I guess to have someone who works there, talk with him and show him all the other sad dogs. Thanks everyone... I love my son, and I love Dasiy and just hurt that I have to uproot Dasiy because my son refuses to be nice to her. But it's for her best...
    blessedmom74

Comment by blessedmom74 (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i have the same situation. my almost 5 year old daughter will not leave our 3 pound chi mix alone. i have spanked her, given her time outs, put her in her room, taken away toys, tv, everything. she says she will leave the dog alone, then as soon as she goes outside, she's right back at her. the reason i joined this group is because of the dog.
    i'm at my wits end, we have 20 or so other animals on my property and she leaves the rest of them alone. even another bigger chihua hua. i don't understand why she is obsessed with this dog. i don't want to give up and give the dog away, i can contain the dog if i have to, but that's not what i want to do. i'm just really wondering if she needs therapy.
    let me know what happens.
    drakster

Answer by drakster at 9:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011