Is an obsession with Thomas the train ok at 20 months?

He knows the names of all the engines, around 60 different ones. He wants to watch Thomas movies all the time (he only gets to watch one a day). We try and limit his TV time but he plays around his train table almost all day. He talks to the trains and they talk to each other.
He does like Mickey Mouse too, but nothing as much as Thomas.

jennib88

Asked by jennib88 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes, but i'm sorry for you. thomas is so damn boring!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• 20 mos. its kool, nothing to worry about
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My 22 month old loves buzz lightyear.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Oh God, so many kids get a thomas obsession. all my nephews have gone through it. It's perfectly fine.
    My DD2 doesn't watch it, she watches the Disney version, which is a bit more interesting, called Chugginton. She loves Choo Choos but is not obsessed with them.
    She is, however, quite obsessed about Wonder Pets. She's been since about 11 months. I was hoping she would ge over them, but so far she will drop ANYTHING to watch Ming MIng (the duck in wonder pets)
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• yeah, i think it's great. Why wouldn't it be?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My 25 month old is the same way. His "obsession" at 20 months was letters and numbers - he knew both uppercase and lowercase letters and numbers up to 20. Everywhere we went that he saw letters we had to stop, look, and "read" them - the grocery store was a nightmare! Now it's Thomas.
    Personally, I try to limit it. His train table is upstairs in his room and I make him play downstairs at certain times of the day. And he wants to carry all his trains everytime we go somewhere. When I tell him we're going somewhere he starts stuffing them in his bag. I make him pick one. Limiting the "screen time" is definitely good. The pretend play with the trains is a good thing. Encourage him to bring other things in to his play, so it doesn't become a problem. Use his "obsession" - get him some Thomas books!

Answer by missanc at 9:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• depends what else is going along with obession
    most likely it is just interest
    but if other things going on could be a sign that needs addressing
    **now this is coming from a mom of a child with autism (so my opinion is coming from this situation)**
    if he has any other OCD issues-example has to have doors closed always, turning lights on and off-alot, if he has little eye contact, does not speak well (although asperger kids do have great speech) stares at lights, fans, spinning things, plays with cars and trucks by only spinning wheels, does not know how to point to communicate his needs..other signs too of possible issues

but just a love for trains-no worries
    except parents mind turning to train mush, and the constant humming of theme song
    if YOU start to dream of trains and find yourself singing the theme song while you do your grocery shopping- i would seek immediate medical help for yourself-lol
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• UMMMM! I HOPE SO ! My little guy loves Thomas too!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 9:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my son LOVES thomas! it is fine every kids has their favorites and it is good that he is active in pretend play with them that is a great sign of normal development. my son used to like curious george when he was a bit younger. he is almsot 4 now. but my dad took him one day to go see thomas and he got to ride on the train and after that it has been nothing but thomas. and that was like 2-2 1/2 years ago...lol....
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Sure but I would get some Thomas the Train books to go along with the obsession. My ds has an awesome Thomas the Train book that has a train you can move through the book.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:43 AM on Jan. 19, 2011