What are some heart healthy, mailable gift ideas for someone?

Hoping to do a monthly care package for my father-in-law to get them on a heart healthy plan (he just had bypass surgery last week). Was going to get the girls to make some cheery get well craftables - but was going to throw in some snacks and things, too. Have some low salt, low fat organic soup - low salt Wheat Thins and some olive dip (that if you like olives is pretty good). Anyone think of other things?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 9:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Kashi Cereal
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• oranges, apples, make a cookbook of some easy heart healthy recipes, send the South Beach Diet Cookbook.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Fruit, Veggies
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I am mailing these. The South Beach/Kashi bars any ggod?
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Ohh I agree alittle recipe booklet would be awesome!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If you do find a cook book you can send, if you send some of the ingredients that will be needed for it that he may not have, that would be nice. You could also go to a health food store and ask them what you can buy at the store that would be good. You can also put some vitamins or herbs in there. There are a lot of healthy versions of snacks you can make even make a granola snack to send. I have one that I can send to you if you would like, let me know.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• we did something like this for my uncle and gave him a recipe every month along with something used in the recipe... like how to make your own granola, and we sent oats, rasins, etc... it was nice, at the end of the year he had an assortment of recipies... we got others involved too, my sis, bro and parents also sent cards with ingredients... so he had a whole "healthy" book of ideas!
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• asil has great ideas!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Fresh fruit and veggies maybe some nuts
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• There is a heart health mix of nut, I think it is Planters brand. You might look at that.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2011