My 7 year old's ear is horribly infected and she wont let me even get near her to take out the earring. Any suggestions?

She wanted to get her ears pierced so I let her. Now I cannot even look at the earrings without her freaking out. When I say freak out, I mean like full on up against the wall like she has had someone torture her before. It frustrates me to no end. I am afraid I am gonna have to take her to the emergency room and have them sedate her to take them out. I have tried to threaten her by telling her the possible outcomes of not letting me take care of her earrings. I have tried rewards and she doesnt go for that either. If it were up to her she said she would rather not have an ear.

skukla

Asked by skukla at 9:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well I wouldn't go as far as taking her to the ER sorry but its not an emergency but I would call her doc if they are infected it would be a good idea to have them looked at.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Sadly, I think you need to take her to the doctor. If her ear is really infected and she won't let you take the earing out then the earing could get stuck in her ear and she might need surgery to get it out.

I would try and see if she can get it our herself, because at this point it sounds like it really needs to be taken out.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Have you tried doing it quickly while she's asleep? If not- you may have to take her into the Dr. They may end of restraining her. Poor thing. Hope it works out for you- good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm sorry, the only thing I can say is that if that had happened to me, my mom would've forced me to stay still for her to examine the ear and take out the earring. She would've spanked me if she needed to.

Some times she got to do stuff while I was asleep. She would take looks at cuts and clean out infected wounds, etc while I was asleep. That might help. Does she react well to Nyquil?
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:30 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'd say don't go to the doctor straight away, I say log onto your computer, go on the web and ask a buncha strangers what do about the health of your child that needs immediate care. Thats what I'd do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Tell her that if you don't take the earring out, then her ear may fall off her head because of the infection. I know that is not truthful, but i guarantee you it will work.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I would have to agree with anon.... This is NOT the place to ask. You need to be her MOM, and tell her what you're going to do, get them out and start treating them. Infection can create many problems, so get on with your job, and get them out!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:36 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• this may sound terribel but sit on her... you are her mom and are trying to take care of her. pin her to the ground and straddle her chest. You need to be in control not her. If that doesnt work then snag her up and take her to the dr. you need to take her in anyway she may need meds and sounds like the earring needs to come out. I dont mean to sound rude but ai cant stand to hear my LO wont let me... you are the parent!
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree"she won't let me" is NOT anoption. If you have to get your husband involved, have him hold her down while you take the earring out. It HAS to come out. Also, I wouldn't let her wear earrings anymore, she's obviously not old enough or mature enough to take care of them.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 10:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Drugging your kid with Nyquil? Are you kidding me people?! YOU are the parent. Obviously you have taught your kid that they are in charge of everything if you can't get her to hold still to just take out an earring..... Come on, you are the mom, here!

Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2011