How does your afternoon/evening routine go if you have children in school?

Mine get out of school at 4. They get off the bus at 4:20. They put away their things and give me their work. They have a snack and we do their homework. Then we have a piano lesson. They do their afternoon chores while I finish pulling dinner together (I always start things in the morning). We set the table and then eat when Poppa gets home. We read and then the children shower (every other night). Family prayer. Bedtime at 7:30. Lights out at 8:00. It always feels like a mad rush, so we really enjoy holidays and days off and weekends!

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 9:43 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• They get off the bus and are in the house by 4pm and it's right to homework at the kitchen counter. While they do that I start dinner. Dinner is at 5pm. By then they are usually done with their homework if they haven't been screwing around. After homework they are supposed to straighten up their rooms and then they can do whatever they want. When it's nice they are usually outside playing but otherwise they watch TV or play video games. They eat at 5pm and then can go back to what they are doing until 7pm which is when they do their reading. They have to read for 30 minutes then they start getting ready for bed (brush teeth, jammies on, clean up the living room). We don't do showers every day (just as they need them or every few days...just depends). Then they are in bed with lights out at 8pm.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• mine is Special Needs, so is home before 3pm and he's very cranky and its always a long afternoon, so I enjoy what little quiet i get during the day.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• get out of school at 2:45 we come home do home work. have a snack about 3:30 ...then it is free time. unless their room needs tending. dinner at 5:30. we start getting ready for bed about 7-7:30 depending on bath night or not....but they must be washed have jammies and teeth brushed by 7:45 then we sit together and watch elmo...the last 15 mins of sesame...then we go to be at 8 pm sharp. sometimes we read a book. we used to read one every night and i need to get back into that habit.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• DD gets home at 3: DS gets home at 3:45.

She usually gets a snack and reads for a bit (it's how she unwinds) and tells me about her day. She starts homework at 3:30 and it usually is about 2 hours worth (5th grade). Then it's music lessons/practice (M,W,F and weekends). Then she has free time to play until dinner. Showers are in the morning; she's in bed by 8:00. This is our schedule when she's not involved in sports. That's crazy time for sure and not worth going into here.

DS gets home, eats right away, gets started on homework, then gets ready for work (4 days a week); the rest of the homework gets done after work. He's in bed by 11. The nites he's home, the three of us sit down to dinner together, otherwise it's just DD and me. DH is with us at dinner time 2 months out of every 3 since he works rotating shifts and isn't always home for dinner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Our boys get home at 3:30, have a snack, do homework, then if they have had a good day at school, they can play the wii, go outside, or play in their rooms, or watch some cartoons, but only of they have finished homework, and have behaved. They don't have after school activities, only on Saturdays. We have dinner at 5:30pm, they help set the table, we eat, they all help clean up.. Then if there is time we might play a game, then it's shower time and bedtime at 8pm. Wednesdays are game night so tonight I will make sure supper is something easy, and less mess, so we can get on with our game!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I pick my girls up at 2:10, we are home by 2:20 and then we have a small snack if I can find anything. We chat about their day. I then get the older one started on homework and continue to fight with her until about 4pm when she finishes. She is in 2nd. My first grader typically doesn't have any homework. I usually put her on the computer while the other is doing her homework. After homework they free play for an hour or so while I cook dinner. DH gets home at 5 and we usually eat at 5:15. After dinner is cleaned up we typically play a game together and then we practice spelling for 20 min. The girls then pick out their clothes for the next day and what they want for breakfast. Then one takes a bath while DH and I read to the other one (they alternate bath days). After bathtime its bedtime!! at 8pm.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I pick her up at 3:30, store if we need something, then home. Chores, homework, dinner, bath, tv or books or computer time. Snack, brush teeth, prayers, bed.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My sons get out of school at 2 and usually have practice until 3:30. They then drive home and get here around 5:30 and we eat dinner. Afterwards, they do homework. They're usually done around 10 and then they go to bed.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 5:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2011