Court appointed attorneys for children in custody cases, does more damage than good?

Recently my aunt's boyfriend took his ex to court for sole custody of their 7 year old son, Derek. The court appointed Derek his own lawyer, even though his father has a family lawyer. This woman, Derek's lawyer, informed Derek that my aunt wasn't his "real" mom. That he did not come from her stomach. I don't think this woman had any right to tell Derek my aunt wasn't his mom. His biological mother isn't in his life and was denied visitation so she won't be in his life at any time soon. She has had no contact with Derek for over 5 years and he has no idea who she is. The only reason she contested the custody was because she'd already lost custody of two other sons to their fathers (she has five sons with four different men). When the court ordered her to pay $40 a week in child support she began talking about terminating her rights so she wouldn't have to pay it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• geez, that really sucks. poor kid. thats just plain wrong. he should have never heard that from anyone's mouth but your aunt's. sorry, i hope he's ok.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 5:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2008