Has some of the negativity from other moms on Cafemom, ever discouraged you from asking questions as often?

I am a positive person and sometimes the moms or women on Cafemom are surprisingly depressing. Now not all many women are very helpful. But there are times when I am like wow so judgmental. What about you have you ever been surprised by some of the answers you received from other women?

True_Gator_77

Asked by True_Gator_77 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Maybe sometimes. It's more like there are days I don't feel like dealing with nasty comments in certain sections, but most of the time I don't take it personally and just ignore the worst of them as much as possible. I've had a lot of positive responses to my questions too. It's hard to read tone in writing, so sometimes there are misunderstandings that are cleared up, but there are a handful of women who are always nasty and quick to jump to conclusions and gang up on people. I find them discouraging, but I still post whatever I want when I'm in the mood to debate an issue (or just want to hear all the opinions on different sides even if I don't really want a debate--just want to see all perspectives). I've had some helpful answers in parenting sections too, but I answer more often than I post questions in some sections.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yes, especially in the past. But it has calmed down a lot from last year. GL I hear you and definitely can relate. Just take it with a grain of salt and let it roll off your back. It is internet not face to face so do not let it bother you or take it so personally.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I am not surprised by the responses anymore. Just makes me sad for them.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• nah, I can always overlook em, they are strangers and mean nothing to me, they aren't important enough and know so little about me IRL, that they aren't worth getting upset over. In the end I get still salvage some good advice out of it and can the question when I'm done with it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Nope, I say what I have to say anyways.  I get "bashed" often but that's okay.  I also get a lot of good advice, a lot of support, and when I get into with someone I look at it as entertainment.  We aren't all meant to have the same views and judgemental people are everywhere. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I am definitely deterred from asking questions due to the nasty and negative responses I know I will get. I have been told flat out that my questions are stupid. I am very cautious with what I ask and I certainly don't feel safe or supported enough to ask personal questions.

On the flip, I have received some great positive answers and support from moms who don't agree with putting other moms down. For them I am grateful.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yep- some people need de-clawed! -lol Anyway, that's what the vote up/vote down buttons are for. And I would also avoid certain debate questions all together unless you're in the mood to jump in the mosh pit! :)~ Otherwise, just try to have fun. There are a lot more good apples than rotten ones :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Truthfully yes! I But usually the answers are positive. Those are what make asking worth while.
    JennyJenny529

Answer by JennyJenny529 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• LMAO
    months ago my partner came out of the transexual loving closet
    i was surprised to say the ;east
    i posted questions, as i had NO IDEA what to do,
    i was screamed at as a troll, just trying to start drama with such a hot distrubing sexual question
    LAMO- i wish it was not real
    had to repost and state in the question that i was not a troll, was a real problem
    did get some help, but as i posted questions along the way, still had people scream at me to stop posting such gross questions
    sorry but it was real (maybe they should have been happy that their lives were not turned upside down and it was me who had to deal with this gross thing-reading the question surely not anything like having to live it)
    i ended up leaving him of course
    most ladies were very understanding and supportive but others were nasty to me- like i chose to have this and post about it
    i almost canceled my profile on here-it was hard time for me
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:03 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• yes...there are alot of unnecessary rude comments or remarks made on alot of honest questions. i dont ask many questions anymore but i do try to give honest answers. even if i dont agree with it i try to see the other persons point of view. if i find a question that make me angry or i have nothing nice to say i will usually skip it. but i must say when answering questions and i find rude answers for no apparent reason i a very good at voting them down for being rude or bashing.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 10:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2011