I need some advice!! Please!!(didnt know what category to put it under)

Ok my husbands mom and dad told us we could have a acre of land about 2 years ago, to put a trailor on. So we did some work on it, and have been for 2 years. We have a driveway, and were planning on putting a trailor on it within 2 months. The problem im having is they dont want to deed us the land. We are putting all this money in it, and its not going to be put in our name. I dont feel we should put any more money in this land, nor put a trailor on it because I mean they can make us move, or tell us what/how to do things. I just dont know what to do!!! Im stressed out and my husband just keeps saying not to worry about it....idk What do yal think?

Brittney20

Asked by Brittney20 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Well, you can't force them to deed you the land, but perhaps you could have your husband gently suggest a sort of lease contract that would protect you and the in-laws too?
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yowza! I would have great heartburn putting all that time and effort into something that they could just take from you. What reason do they give for not titling the land in your name???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Is there a good reason they don't want to deed you the land? Is the 2 acres part of a bigger deed that would require lots of money and paperwork to seperate? I like misses nick answer, see if they will give you some kind of lease or something.
    Wrain44

Answer by Wrain44 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think the deed they have is for 3 1/2 acres. I was told they didnt wanna seperate the land..but i dont know really...
    Brittney20

Comment by Brittney20 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't want to put anything else into the land without a lease, that way they aren't dividing the land and you are protected.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I don't think I would put anymore money into it until I had the deed in my name.

They may not be able to split the land into smaller parcels due to zoning restrictions, in that case, you could get a "land deed" (I think that's what it's called) drawn up which guarantees you use of the land for a period of time.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thanks everyone
    Brittney20

Comment by Brittney20 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• maybe they are uncomfortable "deeding" it to both of you in case your marriage does not work out? then they have to split land they want in the family. if they refuse a lease what about them just willing it to your hubby upon their death?
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011