Need Advise on getting my son to sleep in his bed

My son is 17 months old and has been co sleeping with me since he was borm. It all started when I went back to work and I was nursing, it was just easier to have him in bed and we all got sleep this way. It did not seem to be a problem with my husband but recently he has expressed that he would like to have our bed back. My son still need me to comfort him back to sleep, even in my bed he still wake frequently in the night and needs to touch or feel that I am still next to him. We have tried letting him sleep in a toddler bed in our room but that did not work eithet! The main problem is that I can not do the cry it out method....it kills me to hear him screaming for me. He is able to climb out of his crib now, so we converted his crib into a toddler bed and put up a gate in his doorway so he can not roam the house at night. I have been sleeping on an air mattress on the floor of his room trying to get him used to being in his room at night and lettimng him know it is a safe place to be. But he still wakes up and scream until I pick him up. He can fall asleep in seconds after I pick him up even if he had been screamong for 5 minutes, it is crazy! I have created a monster ..LOL!! He is not getting enough sleep at night in my opinion and it is effecting his personality some days!

I would love to hear any advise on how to get him to sleep in his own room and be able to put himself back to sleep without needing me. I know this is going to be a long process, but everything I have tried has yet to work, so any advise would be wonderful! Thanks in advance, we would like to have another babay soon, but can not imagine getting up at night with 2 kids!

Mom2Brock

Asked by Mom2Brock at 10:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The Super Nanny has a great technique that has worked for us.  You put your child in the bed, tell them goodnight or read them a story and then tell them goodnight, whatever you prefer.  After that first time putting them to bed you avoid eye contact and all conversation.  When they get out of bed, you pick them up and set them back into the bed.  The first few nights will be absolutely chaotic but then peace will settle in, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my oldest was co sleeping with us and my husband was sick of it so we decided he needed to sleep in his room..

What my husband and I did was buy him bedding he liked ( he loves marvel anything,the Avengers,spiderman, IRonman ETC) anyways after we got him that stuff and a fancy nightlight. He would stay in his room and sleep, he has been sleeping in his room for 5 months now and we have had no problems. Our middle son always slept in his room and has done a really good job. Were not Co sleeping ever again cause we would like our bed to ourselves. The only time the children come to our room and get into our bed is when they aren't feeling well
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Claudiomom, how old is your son??
    Mom2Brock

Comment by Mom2Brock (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• MrsHouston47302, Did you stay in teh room with your son to get this to work or did you leave the room and go backm in each time?
    Mom2Brock

Comment by Mom2Brock (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He wil be three in a week... It was easy to get him in his room cause we made it clear to him big boys stay in there bed. He cried the first two nights and he would come back to our room and we would tell him he can't sleep in our bed and he would run off cryuing to his bed. It was hard to see him do that but because we stood our ground and told him NO he caught on fast to stay in his bed.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 1:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• try to put some thing beside him in the bed tht way he ill think its you beside him and he will comfort and safe
    tammy372011

Answer by tammy372011 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2011