Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Proving Child Neglect

I have a family member who has three children, one is four, one is three, the other a year and a half. Between the two parents they do not care for their children correctly. Drinking and going out seems to be more important on a weekly basis. Money for alcohol comes before rent and heat. While they sit on the computer and phone arguing because of one cheating the children run ammuck. Instead of getting up with the children in the morning they let them out of the crib and rooms and go back to sleep. All the while one climbs on the counter and grabs a knife, several times this has happened. All that is said is, "O yea, that happens all the time." The youngest is never clean, snotty nose, and left to scream in the crib. The middle child, 3, is still not potty trained and is constantly running around with dirty diapers. The oldest is mostly out of the house at a relatives and parents don't seem to do I prove the neglect?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous1579 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • This just breaks my heart................I feel you need to get involved call CPS they don't have to say who gave them the information..............NO child deserves to live like that, I would take all 3 in a heart beat :) Don't wait until it's too late!!!!

    Answer by buttonlts at 10:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • wow, good luck proving
    only experience i had with social services and child endangerment was when a six yr old told me that her brother (teen) comes into her bedroom at night and she wakes to him sitting on her bed, i asked why he does this and six yr old said "what do you think?"
    i called to report this
    i was told that i had to get more proof! i asked if they would speak to child, as i was a graphic artist and not a child therapist, they said nothing they could do!!
    i told her principle at school, he got her in big sister program, and had her speak to school therpaist (who was worthless)
    nothing happened from this and the six yr old buried this happening as soon as her mother (mom of teen too) found this was being talked about

    God willing these children have better luck with the system

    Answer by fiatpax at 10:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • All you can really do is call CPS. Hopefully they do their job correctly.

    Answer by treynlisa at 10:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • i know once system is into the life of the children, it can help, but getting the system to start seems to be a problem, at least in my limited experience it did not help that child at all

    Answer by fiatpax at 10:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Call cps and keep doing it until someone helps those babies it dont matter if they know it was you or not the welfare of those babies have to come first.

    Answer by peace013 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • i think it kinda proves itself? call cps and tell them what you told us.

    Answer by boobarandbell at 10:36 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Call the local police and ask them to do a Well Child Check. They will go to the residence and make sure the kids are okay. A call to CPS from the police will be taken much more seriously, and get the proper authorities involved much more quickly, than if an 'average citizen' were to call it in.

    Answer by desert_diva at 10:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • You can call CPS - but it's been my experience that nothing will really be done unless there is evidence of abuse, or if the child(ren) show signs of malnutrition. I would still call them though, because it's obvious the kids are in a bad situation. You can call anonymously, I hope that you do and something is done to help those kids.

    Answer by Scuba at 10:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • I agree with previous posters, put in a hotline call about the knife situation. That will get them there quicker instead of just saying that someone isn't potty trained or that their being lazy in the morning. Unfortunately, it sounds as if something serious will have to happen before something changes. Good luck.

    Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Is there in any way you could discreetly take pictures/video tape the home. Take pictures of the kids? Give the state proof of what your saying.

    Answer by sandbuster at 11:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.