Prenatal Testing for Down Syndrome

So I had the test last week and yesterday my doctor called to tell me he was referring me to a specialist to have a better US done to confirm Down Syndrome. He said my chances are 1 in 35. I will be ok with having a daughter with Downs because my brother has it and I have grown up around the Special Olympics, I'm just worried about my husband. He was looking forward to the whole "Daddy's Girl" experience. Has anyone gone through this and it came out a false/positive test reading? I just want to know to start preparing my boys and my husband.

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 10:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My friend did and worried the rest of her pregnancy. She had a healthy baby. I refused the test for that reason.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I didn't because they cannot tell you yes or no. It's always a 1 in X chance. so the stress of wondering ws not worth it. I was going to have the baby regardless so why add more stress?

And with what PP state, false positives are very high for this test. Even though your OB was reffering you, you can still refuse the extended testing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My OB wouldn't let me have the blood testing done because there is a high instance of false positives. Go to the ultrasound, and go from there. As you know, your DH can still have the daddy's girl experience with a DS child! Best of luck to you!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm sorry but I don't know much about this question, but I can tell u this....ur daughter can still be a "daddy's girl"! Good luck to u and ur family! =)
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2011