need some help questions about toddler boy....

Aiden is a 2 year old, roudy,rough and tough,lovable, boy...
the problem: Aiden has weekly theraphy session for be havior and speech delays. since he is only 2 they cant not diagnoise him with autisim and aspergers yet, but they cant rule it out...
aiden can talk but not really, he mostly just whines.ALOT, when things like the tissue box is empty it upsets him. i know alot of the issue is he cant tell me what he wants. but its becoming very frustrating. my husband and i want to help him out anyway we can. our oldest daughter understands that aiden is special. some days are good. and other days are just horrible. it seems like we took 1 step forward and two steps back! we did really good last week, he mimics songs and dances, he even said dinosaur! big deal in our house! but now hes regressing, no longer sitting at the table to eat. get upset easily, my husbands deployed and im having a hard time right now with him. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE!?! i love my son and we have both come to grasp that he may have "issues" but it seems lke when aidens having a bad day everyones day is bad!

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 10:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 13 year old has autism - I remember when he was 2 I had no clue what I was going to do when he got bigger than I was! But he is an absolute dream, the easiest out of all 5 of my kids really.
    I firmly believe it's because I stood my ground when he was 2-3. Those were rough years, but if he didn't sit at the table, he didn't eat; if he was screaming, he got put in his bedroom (no toys); if he didn't sit still in the stroller, we didn't go on our daily walk, etc.
    A lot of it is going to be finding ways to anticipate what's going to set him off. Does he use sign language, have you used PECS? PECS were huge in our house for a few years, even after he could talk when he would get upset he needed the backup. Find what calms him down (for my son it was a bath - sometimes we had 3 baths/day!).
    Huge for us was teaching him "first . . . then" (ie first we're going to do X, then you can have Y) to motivate him to do things.

Answer by missanc at 1:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011