what are jails required to do?

I myself have never been in trouble but i always wondered about my counties jail system. EVERYDAY the serve the same thing, oatmeal for breakfast, bologna sandwich for lunh and beans for dinner. Also if you are only in there for the weekend they dont give you a toothbrush or soap to shower with or anything. I was wondering if anyone knew if they are allowed to do this because i thought they were suppose to cover the food groups and follow hygeine rules..maybe not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• it is called jail and prison for a reason. I think they should make it as ugly as possible personally.
    Anonymous

• I'd be very put out if I found out that criminals were eating better than I am but honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they were. I've never been in jail or known anyone in jail so I can't say what they are fed.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Well actually when they come in they are required to recieve one toothbrush and one bar of sopa but when that runs out its up to them to get there own.... as a teenager i was always in and out of juvinile detention.. i have done months and months... buts its very different then "grown up jail"

they dont get served the same thing EVERYDAY but there is not much varitey and it sucks!! but i dont feel bad for them... only you can put yourself in jail... i THANK GOD that i got my act together and have never "caught a charge" as an adult.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

Me too... the more suffering they do, the more they can think about their poor decisions...
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 2:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I never been to jail but i know a lot of people who are always goin in and out. Here they don't serve the same thing every day but what they do serve isn't very good. A lot of the people i know that go in ther usually will eat about 1 time a day. If someone puts money on your books than you can buy differant food like ramen noodles. They get toothbrushes and soap too.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• There is a big difference in the requirments that prisions face (long term confinement) and the requirments of jails, which are for short term things like holding someone over the weekend.

I thought it was funny when the prisoners in AZ sued over the quality of the food they were served. They claimed it was cruel and unusual punishment. Until they found out it was the exact same stuff served to schook kids everyday. I like the Sheriff's take on it "If you don't like it, don't come back."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• but they aernt always in there for doing bad things my husband was in for driving on a suspended for speeding tickets. they get treated way better in priso than jail.
    Anonymous

• can't say that i ever thought about a jail, prison though i would think anyone in there for a long time would get things like hygiene, nutrition,healthcare and education, even legal services.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 3:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Jail isn't supposed to be fun or comfortable
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 3:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• LOL I love this!! They get the same food as the kids!! Too funny!!

I would think that like schools they would be required by law to cover the food groups, but nobody said it has to taste good or be indentifiable!!
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 3:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2008