What is a safe & easy pet to take care of when your daughter is almost to her toddler years?

I was thinking about getting some fish in the spring.

sweetbug27

Asked by sweetbug27 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pets

• Yes, a fish would be good but she how she reacts by visiting your local pet shop and see what might interest her.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• low maintenance fish are easy, like goldfish or beta fish. it really depends on how much extra time you have and how much energy you want to put into taking care of a pet along with all of your other responsibilites.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think fish are a great idea, they are easy to take care and it's a way to ease into the responsibility of having a pet. Our first pet was a fish also. I do have a word of advice though....make sure the child knows that a fish can not be held and petted. My dd took very good care of her fish and one day when I was in the shower I got out and heard her talking and didn't think much of it when I came out of the bathroom there she was holding her little fish and petting it she just loved it so much!! We soon got a kitty because she needed a pet that she could cuddle with.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think fish a wonderful idea.
    desyk90

Answer by desyk90 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Easy? Fish are not on that list... their storage facilities require a lot of care, and there are routine things that have to be done (like every other pet there is) whether you feel like it or having the time or not.

I vote for adult cats or stuffed animals. Adult cats because they're largely self-sufficient, especially if they have a way of getting outside and back in on their own, and a bit of sheltered garden close to your house that you don't have to scoop or change regularly... they just need regular feeding and watering, and are fully capable of keeping away from a toddler's immature (and sometimes strangling) adoration.

Stuffed animals are great, because you can ignore them when you travel, forget they exist and return to taking care of them 15 months later with no damage to them or property... and overzealous children can't kill them by accident.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I got some goldfish. I clean the bowl once a week, feed them daily. The initial monetary startup was less than $20 including the fish. We have a cat already, but whenever we visited the pet store my daughter wanted a goldfish (because Elmo has one).
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• fish has my vote too.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Fish! Beta or goldfish are easiest to take care of. Try to pick ones with very common markings, or none at all, for easy replacement!
    We have a dog and right now our daughter's favorite pet is "bubble", an actual bubble of air in a hand sanitizer bottle.
    jazzgal

Answer by jazzgal at 11:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• fish are relatively easy...but be careful a little one will easily overfeed it or do what my daughter did-and try to give it a bath by putting soap into the tank...

I'm not really big on pets for little ones- they can be awfully cruel to the animals.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• we lucked out with a small dog that is great with our kids, though they arent so great with him. lol. and lots of outside cats (we live on a farm) that keep them entertained when the weather is nice.
    MrsDuff

Answer by MrsDuff at 11:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2011