Is it tacky to ask another mom what her kid wants for their birthday?

I texted a mom what her sons favorite team is(she will assume it's for a bday gift) and she won't answer my text. She is really good about answering texts so I know she's not busy. Is it tacky of me to ask?

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I don't think it's tacky. It may just be awkward. No one wants to acknowledge that you need to buy a gift for their kid, so they might be avoiding it. I remember for my son's birthday last year parent's were calling and asking, and I felt like telling them, no, you don't have to buy a gift, but I knew they would anyway. Sometimes I just wish birthday party's were just that - a party, no gifts.

But I don't think it's tacky at all. I would think she would want her child to get a gift with some thought behind it rather than just what somebody grabbed off a shelf in an appropriate price range.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Nope. Not at all. What would be tacky is if she attached a list of those things to the birthday invite.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• no????? how else are you supposed to know? read the kids mind?
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I dont think it is tacky to ask...better have the heads up then get something the kids doesnt like or need ya know
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I don't think it is. I always ask because kids interests change as much as their underwear so you never know what they might be into that week/month.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• NO! She may have to ask her son. I would ask her to give you some ideas on what things he is into.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No, I always ask and other parents ask me as well. No big deal.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• no, it's not tacky at all.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Its possible she is busy. Even if she doesn't work maybe she is taking a shower. Maybe she left her pphone in the car.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's not tacky!! Maybe she can't reply right now or maybe she wants to ask her son. I wouldn't worry about it!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 11:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2011