Can you take anti-depressants when your pregnant?

I have been having problems with my SO and getting so depressed I try not to be but theres nothing I can do for myself I been like this for about 3 months now, I was on them a few years ago. I just feel like I can't take care of myself and my baby when im like this. I have tried counseling but that didn't help either. I go into see my Dr. tomarrow and i'm goin to talk to her about it. but do any of you know if you can get on anti-depressants when your pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes you can. Im on them and pregnant just talk to your doctor.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• If your OB prescribes them, yes. Stress has shown to be a significant factor in preterm birth and low birth weight.
    A lot of people will argue this, but sometimes you have to go with the 'lesser of two evils.' For the record, I was just prescribed anxiety medication myself and I'm 9.5 weeks.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I took them for my entire first pregnancy. Sometimes the benefits out weigh the risks. Your mental health during your pregnancy is just as important as your physical health.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• There are some that are fairly safe. Talk to your doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I was going to say EXACTLY what Kaycee said!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2008