cold stuffy nose but in head as well can anyone give me a cold medicine to take. I do not swallow pills so liquid or home remdieies

I need help I have a cold now for about 3 day and can handle it but it is in my head. I do not swallow pills since have problems with that. Any liquid or home remidies I and try or get from the store today. Thanks. I have to get better since girl has girl scout meeting and have to pick the kids up so not at home all day. Thanks

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 11:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Health

• honey and lemon is good for a cough, chicken soup, look in the liquid medicines area for decongestants.

Answer by Bmat at 11:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I love Dayquil when the stuffiness gets to be too much. I believe it comes in liquid as well as liqui-caps (which I prefer.)

I also keep a product called Sinusin in the house. It is squirted up the nose and really helps when I see the first signs of a cold. I get it at Whole Foods.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• sounds more like a sinus cold, and those can be pretty crappy. important thing is that if you are feeling so stuffed in the head, but you can't blow anything out, it's time to see a doctor. you don't want to develop a sinus infection. the pressure can be so intense though and it can bring on a terrible headache. try putting on a pot of water and inhaling the steam through your nose/mouth, or eat some hot soup and do the same thing, or in a warm shower or cup of hot tea. sudafed for sinus colds is really great and the pills are small, just fyi. i have a problem with swallowing big pills and i can take those just fine and they help a lot.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• you can also try that neti-pot thing. its really weird but it works.
    tnm786

• my husband takes alkaseltzer cough and cold he loves it, it is just a tablet that dissolves in water
    mandy628

Answer by mandy628 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Cold Cure Soup!

Ingredients:
    2 cans of low-sodium chicken broth
    1 T. olive oil
    15 cloves of garlic
    one medium onion

1 tsp. each of the following:
    parsley
    cilantro
    mint
    basil leaves
    curry powder
    1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
    salt
    fresh lemon juice

Fresh herbs are best, most potent, but dried will do.

In a large pot, heat the olive oil and sauté until soft the cloves of peeled garlic, the onion cut in quarters, 1 teaspoon each of minced parsley and cilantro, one teaspoon each of minced mint and basil leaves. Then puree the mixture of softened garlic, onions and herbs in a food processor or blender.

Pour the pureed ingredients back in the pot. Add the chicken broth plus one teaspoon of curry powder, ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, and salt to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add one tablespoon lemon jui
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I can't swallow pills easily either but if you take them with food they slide down better. I'd take zinc since you already have a cold. I'd also use a neti pot if your head isn't totally congested. Try vicks salve at the entrance of your nostrils and/or put some in a small pot of steaming water, put a towel over your head and lean over letting the fumes go up your nose. I'd also eat chicken soup.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• thanks for the good adivce and will look for the stuff today. Keep them coming
    momindiana

Comment by momindiana (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I like Alka-Seltzer cold and good old-fashioned Vicks menthol vapo-rub.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011